Dryer catches fire in home at Ottawa Park

Friday, April 17, 2015
Greencastle Firefighters and Police officers at the scene of a mobile home fire ignited by a dryer at Ottawa Park Thursday. (Photo by KYLE HOLLINGER)

The quick actions of residents prevented serious damage Thursday afternoon after a fire started under a mobile home.

Greencastle Fire Chief Bill Newgent said the department was dispatched to 1216 Bloomington St. in the Ottawa Mobile Home Park regarding a structure fire at

12:53 p.m. When firefighters arrived on scene, they found a lot of smoking coming from under the residence.

"It was a dryer fire," Chief Newgent explained. "The smoke got into the tube that goes through the floor, under the trailer and out the side of the trailer."

By the time the department arrived, the residents had started pulling the skirting from the bottom of the mobile home, tearing it away from the pipe, and had the pipe pulled from under the home.

Damage was estimated at about $1,000. There were no injuries reported.

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: