UPDATED: Family safe after Mount Meridian home catches fire

Thursday, November 19, 2015
After an hour of battling a fire at a Mount Meridian residents, area fire departments continued to fight through the large amounts of smoke coming from inside. (Banner Graphic/Sabrina Westfall)

MOUNT MERIDIAN -- A family escaped injury after a Mount Meridian home caught fire Thursday afternoon.

Area fire departments responded to a residential structure fire at 5699 E. U.S. 40, owned by Lance Morrison, at 3:13 p.m. and remained on scene for nearly three hours.

Capt. Brian Poole said Morrison and his parents noticed smoke in the house and found an active fire in the utility room.

Fillmore Community Volunteer Firefighter Jim Boles cooled off outside after helping to contain the fire at a Mount Meridian home Thursday. (Banner Graphic/Sabrina Westfall)

The family was able to get out of the house quickly and without injury.

Upon arrival, Poole said a heavy amount of smoke was coming from the front of the house, with visible flames showing in the rear of the home.

Within an hour, nine area fire departments were on scene helping to battle the blaze. Large billows of smoke were visible from the highway.

Greencastle Fire Department remained on the scene until almost 6 p.m.

"It was a windy day and we were low on manpower," Poole said regarding the length of time spent at the scene.

"It took a while to extinguish the fire. The side the fire was on was close to the wind (direction) and the window and door were open."

Due to the location of the fire, Poole said the dryer was probably the cause of the blaze.

The house is likely a total loss.

Responding departments included Greencastle Fire Department, Cloverdale Township Fire Department, Jefferson Township Fire Department, Fillmore Community Volunteer Fire Department, Floyd Township Fire Department, Washington Township Fire Department, Madison Township Fire Department and Mill Creek Fire District. Bainbridge Community Volunteer Fire Department responded with the rehabilitation truck

"We couldn't have done this safely without everyone there (from other departments) and the good teamwork to try and save this residence," Poole noted.

Poole noted there were no injuries during the course of containing the fire.

View 1 comment
Note: The nature of the Internet makes it impractical for our staff to review every comment. Please note that those who post comments on this website may do so using a screen name, which may or may not reflect a website user's actual name. Readers should be careful not to assign comments to real people who may have names similar to screen names. Refrain from obscenity in your comments, and to keep discussions civil, don't say anything in a way your grandmother would be ashamed to read.

    -- Posted by Queen53 on Thu, Nov 19, 2015, at 8:17 PM
Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: