Putnam Scanner for 1-20-16
Four people were booked into the Putnam County Jail recently.
* At 4 p.m. on Friday, Rhakeisha A. Dean, 24, no city listed, was lodged at the jail on out-of-county warrants.
* At 7:20 p.m. on Saturday, Scott Allen Rodgers, 38, Greencastle, was booked in for driving while intoxicated.
At 11:31 p.m. Claud Wiley, 25, no city listed, was housed at the jail for operating while intoxicated.
* At 10:29 p.m. on Monday, Leslie Marie Cope, 25, Roachdale, was taken into custody for possession of methamphetamine and operating while intoxicated.
A 50-year-old Greencastle woman was arrested on alcohol-related charges after being involved in an accident early Saturday on East Walnut Street, Greencastle City Police reported.
Catherine Hayes was held at the Putnam County Jail on charges of operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated and operating perse after a 12:55 a.m. accident in the 600 block of East Walnut Street. She registered .11 percent blood-alcohol content (BAC) after portable breathalyzer testing, Capt. Charles Inman reported.
Hayes was reportedly eastbound on Walnut Street from its Bloomington Street intersection, driving a 2005 Pontiac Grand AM GT when she struck multiple cars and a tree before her vehicle overturned, landing on its top.
Total damage was estimated in excess of $15,000.
The Hayes car reportedly first sideswiped a parked 2010 Kia Forte, owned by Tracy and Michelle Pickens, Greencastle, resulting in $5,000 damage.
The car then continued 90 feet east, striking a parked 1996 Lincoln Town Car, owned by Michelle Shoemaker, Greencastle, resulting an estimated $2,500 damage to its right rear corner.
The Hayes vehicle traveled another 320 feet, Capt. Inman reported, before leaving the south edge of the pavement and hitting two trash bins and a tree.
After another 65 feet, the car veered left, striking the driver's side door and quarterpanel of a parked 1999 Pontiac Grand Am, owned by Klarissa Bricket, Greencastle, and Kimberly Erwin, Brazil, before overturning and ending up on its top.
Damage to the Pontiac was listed in excessive of $2,500.
Meanwhile, damage to the Hayes car was estimated at more than $5,000.
Before being taken to Putnam County Jail to be incarcerated at 5:39 a.m., Hayes went to Putnam County Hospital for treatment and observation. She complained of pain to her head, neck and back and suffered a split lip with blood reported on her face and hands.
Two additional arrests were reported by city officers recently.
-- At 6:27 p.m. Sunday, Nicholas Boswell, 24, Greencastle, was arrested at Auto Zone on Indianapolis Road by Reserve Officer Cameron Paul.
Lodged at the Putnam County Jail, Boswell was arrested on a Putnam County warrant for possession of methamphetamine.
-- At 10:08 p.m. Saturday, Jerry Mock, 36, Greencastle, was arrested by Officer Matt Huffman.
Taken into custody at an East Hanna Street residence, Mock was held on a Putnam County warrant for possession of a controlled substance. He was also cited for possession of marijuana.
Two recent traffic citations were issued by Greencastle officers.
-- At 2:07 a.m. Sunday, Stephen Seketa, 35, Greencastle, was cited by Officer Huffman.
Seketa was cited at Liberty Street and College Avenue for driving with a suspended license with a prior offense.
-- At 11:58 p.m. Saturday, Andrew McGranahan, 24, Greencastle, was ticketed by Capt. Chris Jones.
McGranahan was stopped on Albin Pond Road and ticketed for having no license in his possession.
Putnam County sheriff's deputies responded to nine recent auto crashes.
* At 7:06 p.m. on Wednesday, Jan. 13, Nathaniel Staggs, 21, Rockville, was eastbound on County Road 25 North approaching a sharp curve in a 2005 Pontiac Grand Am.
He told Deputy Virgil Lanning he misjudged the curve and could not stop in ime to avoid driving off the road. His car left the road and hit a tree.
Staggs drove his car from the scene. Damage was estimated at $1,001-$2,500.
* At 8:31 p.m. on Wednesday, Jordan Strow, 21, Roachdale, was westbound on U.S. 36 approaching County Road 500 East in a 2006 Pontiac Torrent when she hit a deer.
Deputy Lanning estimated damage at $1,001-$2,500. The vehicle was towed.
* At 6:12 p.m. on Thursday, Montica Pingleton, 33, Greencastle, was westbound on County Road 450 North approaching Van Bibber Lake Estates in a GMC Acadia when she hit a deer.
Deputy Lanning estimated damages at $1,001-$2,500.
* At 7:40 p.m. on Friday, Rusty A. Hughes, 45, Indianapolis, was westbound on State Road 236 near County Road 425 East in a 2006 Honda Pilot when he hit a deer.
Reserve Deputy Ken Rozelle estimated damage at $1,001-$2,500.
* At 3 a.m. on Saturday, Elizabeth M. Thomas, 26, Poland, was eastbound on County Road 1000 South approaching Cloverdale in a 1997 Chevrolet pickup.
She told Deputy Matt Biggs she lost control on the icy conditions on a downhill grade. The truck left the road and hit a fence.
Damage was estimated at $1,001-$2,500.
Thomas was cited for driving with a suspended license.
* At 6 a.m. on Saturday, a pair of slideoffs occurred at County Road 775 East and County Road 250 North. Ricky A. Ozenbaugh, 28, Coatesville, was southbound on 775 East in a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. Taylor L. Schilling, 20, Coatesville, was also southbound in a 2011 Hyundai Accent.
In separate incidents, the vehicles failed to negotiate the curve in the icy conditions. Reserve Deputy Rick Lambert reported that each vehicle left the road and traveled down a steep embankment, coming to rest on CSX Railroad property.
No contact occurred between the vehicles. Both drivers declined medical attention.
Ozenbaugh's vehicle had to be towed. Damage was estimated at $2,501-$5,000.
Schilling's vehicle was driven from the scene. Damage was estimated at $1,001-$2,500.
* At 6:15 a.m. on Saturday, Laronda S. Johns, 28, Greencastle, was eastbound on County Road 50 North approaching County Road 325 West in a 2004 Saturn Vue.
Johns told Rozelle she lost control on the icy roadway, crossing left of center and sliding into the ditch on the north side of the road.
Damage was estimated at $1,001-$2,500.
* At 8:55 p.m. on Monday, Phyllis J. Stanton, 59, Poland, was westbound on State Road 42 in a 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix when she hit a deer.
Deputy Mike Downing estimated damages at $2,501-$5,000.
The Greencastle Fire Department recently responded to five dispatches.
* At At 2:21 a.m on Tuesday, GFD assisted Greencastle Police with a forced entry at 522 Anderson St.
* At 7:03 a.m. on Tuesday, GFD performed a carbon monxide investigation at 413 Meadow Dr. due to a personal detector malfunction. GFD did not detect any carbon monoxide as the resident's detector is due to be replaced.
* At 10:27 a.m. on Tuesday, GFD responded to a smoke alarm at 310 W. Liberty St. The resident's smoke alarm, as well as a smoke detector, were malfunctioning.
* At 10:51 a.m. on Tuesday, GFD responded to an illegal-rubbish fire at 300 S. Warren Dr. GFD extinguished the fire.
* At 2:29 p.m. on Tuesday, GFD responded to a fire alarm at 304 S. Indiana St. The alarm was determined to be caused by cooking.
Information included in the Putnam Scanner is taken from reports provided to the Banner Graphic by the Greencastle Police, the Greencastle Fire and the Putnam County Sheriff's departments.
Individuals listed in the blotter have been arrested on probable cause and have not been formally charged. Charging information may change after an initial arrest.
Questions about listed charging information should be directed to the arresting agency.