NP, Greencastle golfers win; set to battle today
Austin Judy and Logan Grim each shot a 39 to lead the North Putnam boys' golf team to a win over Covington and Fountain Central on Monday to improve to 7-1 on the season.
"I was real proud of our guys," NP coach Shawn Alspaugh said, noting that his team shot its best score of the year. "I felt like we did a much better job of taking advantage of the course, and actually converting scoring opportunities into some low scores. "
Team scores -- North Putnam 162, Covington 176, Fountain Central 197
North Putnam scores -- Austin Judy 39, Logan Grim 39, Jake Holtze 41, Preston Porter 43, Alex Ruble with 61, Peyton Myers 64, Marcus Burdine 68.
* Greencastle 174, Danville 191 -- At Danville, the Tiger Cubs defeated Danville by 17 strokes on Monday.
Jake Buis led Greencastle with a 37.
"Tough playing conditions made scoring difficult," Greencastle coach Steve Paquin said. "The course was very wet, which made ball striking very hard."
Greencastle (174) -- Jake Buis 37, Jake Bennett 44, Blaise Hasty 46, Jaxon Parmley 47, Jonah Stevens 50
Danville (191) -- Barber 45, Hartman 47, Hiland 48, Cloncs 51, Matter 54
Next match: Today against North Putnam and Crawfordsville at Windy Hill at 4:30.
* Tri-West 177, Cloverdale 185, South Putnam 222 -- At Clover Meadows, Cloverdale got a 45 from Kylar Galloway but fell to Tri-West by eight strokes on Monday.
"We are cutting some of those mistakes, and as we minimize them, we will move forward," Clover coach Doug Wokoun said.
"Jason Miller is getting better and his progress, while incremental, is very encouraging."
South Putnam was led by Tyler Hicks with a 45.
Tri West (177) -- Logan Blake 39, Derek Renback 44, Schyler Hicks 47, Colton Bitting 47, Jackson Benner 50
Cloverdale (185) -- Kylar Galloway 45, Chase Snyder 46, Zach Nichols 46, Zarek Wellington 48, Jason Miller 51, Drew Boyette 52
South Putnam (222) -- Tyler Hicks 45, Jacob Williams 54, Brad Shrader 55, Trevor Long 68, Colin McAlister 68, Ryan Neumann 77
Next match -- Cloverdale (3-5) hosts Sullivan, Owen Valley and White River Valley on Thursday.
* Owen Valley 10, Cloverdale 8 -- At Cloverdale, the Clovers got four runs in the bottom of the seventh inning but couldn't overcome Owen Valley's big lead in Western Indiana Conference action on Tuesday.
Kim Winders hit a home run and a double with four RBI.
Owen Valley 111 310 3 -- 10 12 5
Cloverdale 400 000 4 -- 8 8 2
* Cloverdale 12, Clay City 7 -- At Cloverdale, Kim Winders hit two singles, a double and a home run with five RBI on Monday as the Clovers defeated the Eels.
Kelsey Helterbrand had three singles and two RBI, while Kiley Shedron had two singles and Skylar Price had two singles and one RBI.
"We were a little better in all aspects of the game," Clover coach Jim Spencer said. "We made some improvements on last week."
Clay City 201 001 3 -- 7 7 4
Cloverdale 600 303 x -- 12 12 4
Next game: Thursday at Owen Valley.
* Tri-West 10, South Putnam 7 -- At Lizton, South Putnam gave up nine runs in the third inning but still came back to make it close at the end.
Drew Bratcher had a two-run single in the third inning, while Emma Griffith had an RBI single in the fourth.
A four-run sixth inning was keyed by a three-run Bratcher homer.
South Putnam 002 104 0 -- 7
Tri-West 009 001 x -- 10
* South Putnam 10, Speedway 6 -- At Speedway, the Eagles scored seven runs in the first two innings and held on for a victory.
In the second inning, Lillie Stein had an RBI double, Drew Bratcher had an RBI single and Katie Hewitt had an RBI double. Another run scored on an error.
Katie Hewitt had a two-run homer in the fourth inning.
South Putnam 340 201 0 -- 10
Speedway 040 002 0 -- 6
Next game -- South Putnam hosts Cascade on Friday.