PREP ROUNDUP: Defensive effort paces Edgewood over Tiger Cubs
ELLETTSVILLE — Greencastle entered Saturday’s Western Indiana Conference championship match at Edgewood on a long winning streak with a seven-goal victory over the Mustangs earlier in the week.
Edgewood used a tough defensive effort, limiting Greencastle to just a goal by Seth Nichols, in defeating the Tiger Cubs 4-1.
“We seemed one step behind the whole game and Edgewood was ready to play,” Greencastle coach J.D. Sims said. “They got an early goal, and we just couldn’t get back on top.
“Their defense was very disciplined,” he added. “They man-marked two of our key players, making it harder for them to participate in the play.”
The Tiger Cubs will open sectional play on Monday at South Vermillion against Covington.
• Danville 3, Greencastle 0 — The visiting Warriors won by scores of 26-24, 25-22 and 25-10 over the Tiger Cubs.
Bailey Shuee 9 kills
Madison Trout 7 kills
Sarah Miller 7 kills
Jalyn Duff 29 kills and 10 digs
Maggie Meyer 35 digs
Lydia Trout 12 digs
• Rockville 3, Cloverdale 1 — The Cloverdale varsity volleyball team fell to the Rockville Rox in four sets by the scores of 14-25, 18-25, 25-23, 23-25 on Monday.
Payten Simpson had 10 points and 3 aces. Hailey Thomas had 10 points 1 ace. Also adding points was Lauren Meek, 6 points 4 aces, Hannah Rady 5, Kenzie Stoltz 5, Kassie Wade 1,
Offensively, Tori Combs lead the Clovers at the net with 12 kills, Justyce Monnett 4, Kenzie Stoltz 4, Hannah Rady 3, Kassie Wade and Hailey Thomas 1 each. Hannah Rady had 14 set-assists.
Defensively Tori Combs had 2 blocks. Justyce Monnett had 8 digs, Lauren Meek 8, Kenzie Stoltz 6, Hannah Rady, Payten Simpson, Hailey Thomas and Tori Combs 4 digs each, while Kassie Wade added 2.
Coach Kathy Moore said, “We got off to a slow start but gained momentum going into the third and fourth sets. The Rox serve the ball tough and we struggled with that aspect of our game.”
The Clover JV won in three sets.
• Edgewood 3, Cloverdale 0 — At Ellettsville, the Mustangs won by scores of 25-15, 25-12 and 25-16 on Tuesday.
For the Clovers Hannah Rady 10 points 1 ace. Kenzie Stoltz had 2 points, while Lauren Meek, Payten Simpson and Kiley Shedron had 1 each.
Tori Combs had 7 kills, Kenzie Stoltz 6 and Justyce Monnett 1. Hannah Rady had 14 set-assists.
Defensively Tori Combs had 3 blocks. Justyce Monnett had a season-high 9 digs, Hailey Thomas 7, Lauren Meek 7, Tori Combs 4, Hannah Rady 3, Kenzie Stoltz 2, Payten Simpson 2.
Coach Moore said, “We were just flat [Tuesday]. We played a tough match [on Monday] and we just couldn’t get anything going. Edgewood has the best server in the conference and we couldn’t consistently handle her serves.”
• Cloverdale 2, South Putnam 0 — The Cloverdale seventh-graders defeated the South Putnam Eagles by scores of 25-22 and 25-18 on Monday
Leading the Clovers in serving was Abbi Yartz with 17 serves.
• Cloverdale 2, Eminence 0 — The seventh-grade Lady Clovers defeated the Eminence Eels on Tuesday by scores of 25-14 and 25-20.
Leading the Clovers in serving was Abbi Yartz with 8 serves.
The girls will play again this Saturday in the conference tournament.