DPU School of Music to celebrate the season with gala
The chill in the air means it’s time for the DePauw University School of Music Holiday Gala.
Now in its sixth season, the annual gala will be presented in two performances next week in the Green Center’s Kresge Auditorium. Audiences can attend the full-length version of the popular holiday concert on Saturday, Dec. 3 at 7 p.m. — or they may choose a shorter, one-hour program for families and children on Sunday, Dec. 4 at 3 p.m.
Local partners, from across the DePauw and Greencastle communities, have again teamed up with the School of Music for this joyful year-end celebration featuring an array of holiday music from various traditions. Included on the program of holiday favorites will be selections from The Grinch, “The Most Famous Carols of All,” a medley of Chanukah selections, performance by the university choirs, jazz ensemble, band and orchestra, as well as a host of soloists and chamber groups participating in the festivities.
The full-length performance on Saturday will be followed by a reception in the Green Center’s Great Hall, hosted courtesy of Bon Appétit and the School of Music.
For Sunday’s family concert, it is rumored that Santa Claus will once again take a break from his hectic schedule for a quick visit to Kresge, along with his helpful elves.
In addition, several Greencastle restaurants will offer dinner specials before the Saturday evening performance to ensure that diners arrive at the concert before the earlier-than-usual 7 p.m. curtain time.
When making dinner reservations, be certain to mention that you are attending the Holiday Gala and to bring your ticket to receive the holiday specials.
For reservations and additional details regarding holiday dining specials, contact these participating restaurants:
• Tap House 24 -- 20 percent off your meal when presenting Holiday Gala ticket or program.
• Almost Home -- Prime rib dinner special. Bring your ticket and receive 10 percent off on your meal.
• Wasser Brewing -- Dinner special includes pollo a la brasa — a tasty Peruvian chicken dish — paired with Chicha, a traditional Peruvian cocktail
• 2 West (Inn at DePauw) -- Prime rib dinner, which includes 12-ounce prime rib, choice of side, seasonal vegetable and full salad bar for $22 (opens at 4:30 p.m.).
• Fluttering Duck (Inn at DePauw) -- Prime rib dinner, which includes 12-ounce prime rib, choice of side, seasonal vegetable and full salad bar for $22 (opens at 4:30 p.m.).
• Putnam Inn -- 10 percent off any meal when presenting Holiday Gala ticket or program.
• Charlie’s -- 10 percent off meal with Holiday Gala ticket or program.
• Myers’ Market -- 10 percent off meal with Holiday Gala ticket or program.
• Bon Apetit (Hoover Dining Hall) -- Special Holiday Gala menu for $9, plus tax; children 6–16, 50 percent off; children under five eat free.
General admission to the Holiday Gala is $10. Tickets for seniors, children and all students are free. To purchase tickets online, visit music.depauw.edu. The Green Center box office is also open one hour prior to each performance.
To make sure that anyone wishing to attend the Gala may do so, a “pay-what-you-can” option, which allows patrons to purchase tickets for any amount they can afford, is available online and on request.