Annual DePauw School of Music Holiday Gala on tap for Dec. 2-3
The DePauw University School of Music invites the community to come — joyful and triumphant — to hear its angelic ensembles herald in the holiday season during its Seventh Annual Holiday Gala. This year’s festivities will be presented in two performances next week in the Green Center’s Kresge Auditorium.
Audiences can attend the full-length version of the popular program on Saturday, Dec. 2 at 7 p.m., or choose to attend a shorter, one-hour concert for families and children on Sunday, Dec. 3 at 3 p.m.
Local partners, from across the DePauw and Greencastle communities, are once again teaming up with the School of Music for this year-end celebration featuring an array of holiday music from various traditions.
Included on the program of holiday favorites will be a vocal arrangement of “The Grinch, Umoja” – a piece for Kwanzaa, a variety of Chanukah selections, a suite from “The Polar Express,” performances by the university choirs, jazz ensemble, band and orchestra, as well as a host of soloists and chamber groups.
Each concert will culminate with a sing-a-long of season classics.
The full-length performance on Saturday will be followed by a reception in the Green Center’s Great Hall, hosted courtesy of Bon Appétit and the School of Music. For Sunday’s family concert, Santa Claus and his elves take a break from their hectic December schedule for a quick visit to Kresge.
In addition, several Greencastle restaurants will offer dinner specials before the Saturday evening performance to ensure that diners arrive at the concert before the earlier-than-usual 7 p.m. curtain time.
When making reservations, be certain to mention you are attending the Holiday Gala and to bring your ticket to receive the special offers.
For reservations and additional details regarding holiday dining specials, contact these participating restaurants:
•Almost Home: Prior to the gala, Almost Home will offer a prime rib special on Saturday and parmesan and fresh herb-baked chicken breast Sunday, served with roasted potatoes and chef’s vegetable, along with a selection of homemade holiday desserts.
• Bon Appétit (Hoover Dining Hall) -- Special Holiday Gala menu; children 7–12, 50 percent off; children under six eat free.
• Bridges -- 10 percent off meal when presenting Holiday Gala ticket or program.
• Fluttering Duck -- Prime rib dinner, including 12 oz. prime rib with baked potato or choice of side, seasonal vegetable and soup and salad (available 4–8 p.m.).
• Myers’ Market -- 10 percent off meal with Holiday Gala ticket or program.
• Putnam Inn -- 10 percent off any meal when presenting Holiday Gala ticket or program.
• Tap House 24 -- 20 percent off meal when presenting Holiday Gala ticket or program.
• 2 West -- Prime rib dinner, 12 oz. prime rib with baked potato or choice of side, seasonal vegetable and specialty soup and salad bar (available 4–9 p.m.).
• Wasser Brewing Co. -- Manhattan filet or steak sandwich and brewer’s fries, served with an optional selection from Wasser’s holiday cocktail menu, including Irish Coffee, Moscow Mule or Vanilla Cranberry Mimosa.
General admission to the Holiday Gala is $10. Tickets for seniors, youth and all students are free.
To purchase advance tickets online, visit music.depauw.edu. The venue’s box office is also open from noon to 4 p.m. Mon/Wed/Fri and 90 minutes prior to each performance.