BENNETT'S MINUTES: Fall sports post-seasons pick up steam as October approaches
With the air scheduled to turn cooler this weekend, the post-season for the eight IHSAA fall sports is either upon us or rapidly approaching.
Football is exactly at the halfway point of its season, having played five weeks with four more and the sectional first-round games over the next five weeks. More information is available on football than other sports, courtesy of John Harrell’s website, but we will take a look at each one as best as possible.
Here is a look at each sectional field involving Putnam County teams:
• Greencastle — The Tiger Cubs are the only undefeated team in Class 3A Sectional 30. Monrovia and Sullivan are both 4-1, with Sullivan having lost only to Northview (ranked 10th in 4A) and Monrovia’s only defeat at the hands of Triton Central (ranked second in 2A).
Running back Damon Moody ranks 13th in the state in rushing yards through five weeks.
Danville and Tri-West are both lurking at 2-3, with both being strong programs that can’t be counted out due to their strong schedules.
Greencastle can make a strong statement for its sectional chances over the next three weeks. The first five opponents of the Tiger Cubs have combined for only a 6-19 record, but Greencastle plays at Sullivan (4-1) tonight, hosts Northview (5-0) next week and plays at North Putnam (4-1) in week eight.
• North Putnam/Cloverdale — The Cougars are 4-1 with the third best record in 2A Sectional 38. The only problem is that the two undefeated teams, Western Boone and Tipton, are ranked first and third in 2A.
Cloverdale will look to turn its 0-5 record around starting tonight against Brown County.
• South Putnam — The Eagles started the season strongly, even receiving votes in the state rankings, but have lost three straight games to teams who are a combined 13-2.
The Eagles only have the fifth-best record in Class A Sectional 45, but would have to be considered one of the favorites. They are the only school in the field which plays all IHSAA teams, none of them in their classification, and many of the sectional members only play against each other and other lesser private school programs.
• COUNTY STANDINGS — The only game left between county teams will be Greencastle at North Putnam on Oct. 5.
Both teams have defeated South Putnam and Cloverdale.
• WIC — Crossover playoff matches are Saturday. Northview is the only school playing in both matches.
• COUNTY RESULTS — Greencastle defeated North Putnam in both boys’ and girls’ action.
• SECTIONAL DRAW — Sept. 23.
• SECTIONAL STARTING DATE — Oct. 1.
• WIC — Meet is Sept. 29 at South Putnam.
• COUNTY RESULTS — Meet is Sept. 25 at South Putnam.
• SECTIONAL DATE — Oct. 6 at South Putnam.
• WIC — South Putnam defeated Owen Valley 3-2 in finals.
• COUNTY RESULTS — South Putnam defeated Greencastle in its regular-season match.
• SECTIONAL DRAW — Sept. 24.
• SECTIONAL STARTING DATE — Sept. 26 at Northview.
• WIC — Northview won title after finishing 11th last year.
• COUNTY RESULTS — North Putnam won for only second time in school history. Cloverdale’s Sammie Shrum was the medalist.
• SECTIONAL — South Putnam placed fourth in Northview Sectional last Saturday. Shrum, Greencastle’s Bailey Shuee and South Putnam’s Drew Steffy will play in Smock regional on Saturday.
• WIC — Northview is the prohibitive favorite to win the title, again.
• COUNTY RESULTS — Greencastle defeated Cloverdale in final match.
• SECTIONAL DRAW — Sept. 30.
• SECTIONAL STARTING DATE — Oct. 9.
Indiana high school football rushing leaders
State rushing yardage leaders
|1. Dawson Basinger||North Central (FB)||1,418|
|2. Marion Lukes||Charlestown||1,201|
|3. Sam Getz||Tri-County||1,166|
|4. Nathan O’Mara||Seymour||1,121|
|5. Charlie Spegal||New Palestine||1,089|
|6. Brennan Schutte||Evansville Central||1,054|
|7. Romeir Elliott||Warren Central||1,038|
|8. Gavyn Doane||North Knox||997|
|9. Chris Harness||Mishawaka||962|
|10. Clay Whitney||Monrovia||955|
|11. Mark Brownlee||Elkhart Central||923|
|12. Braeton Vann||Boone Grove||907|
|13. Damon Moody||Greencastle||905|
|14. Luke Conner||Boonville||863|
|15. Delton Moore||Manchester||923|
Sectional football standings for Putnam County teams
CLASS 3A SECTIONAL 30
CLASS 2A SECTIONAL 38
CLASS 1A SECTIONAL 45
|Traders Point Christian||5-0|