Putnam Scanner for June 21, 2019
Six people were booked in the Putnam County Jail recently.
• At 11:09 p.m. Rebecca Lynn Goudie, 32, Indianapolis, was lodged at the jail on a local warrant.
• At 11:12 a.m. Edward Joseph Caldwell, 55, Coatesville, was taken into custody for intimidation.
• At 2:06 p.m. Dominic I. Starks, 25, Columbus, Ohio, was housed at the jail for invasion of privacy and possession of marijuana.
• At 9:49 a.m. Jacob Evertt Mathis-Shavntee, 30, Bloomington, was booked in for possession of methamphetamine.
• At 12:26 a.m. Michael Ethan Birchman, 22, Roachdale, was lodged at the jail on a Shelby County warrant.
• At 12:13 a.m. Donald Ferguson McCormick, 31, Greencastle, was taken into custody for battery and resisting law enforcement.
Putnam County sheriff’s deputies investigated four recent property-damage crashes.
• At 7:58 a.m. on Thursday, Candy Williams, 60, Reelsville, was northbound on County Road 500 West when she hit a deer.
Deputy Anthony Brown estimated damage at $5,000-$10,000.
• At 8:06 a.m. on Wednesday, Darla K. Kirchner, 52, Brazil, was eastbound on County Road 300 South about a half mile east of County Road 50 West in a 2017 Kia Sportage when she fell asleep.
The vehicle left the south side of the road and hit a bridge, damaging both the vehicle and the bridge.
Kirchner was transported to Putnam County Hospital for leg pain.
The vehicle was towed. Deputy Matt Biggs estimated damage at $25,000-$50,000.
• At 3:18 p.m. on Tuesday, Robert E. Jones, 24, Indianapolis, was eastbound on State road 240 in a 2011 Ford Fusion when he left the roadway.
The car traveled about 3,000 feet through a muddy bean field, ramped over a few dips in the ground and busted through two fences. The vehicle came to rest in the back driveway at 8176 E. SR 240.
Jones told Deputy Brian Helmer he did not need medical attention.
Jones said he was passing a vehicle when he lost control.
Helmer asked Jones how fast he was going and the driver said 47 mph. Helmer told Jones he had to be going faster to do such a significant amount of damage.
A witness told Helmer she and her family were westbound when Jones approached them at high speed, estimating he was going at least 80 mph. She said Jones was not passing anyone when he lost control.
Helmer issued Jones two citations, one for driving without financial responsibility and another for a learner’s permit violation, as there was no licensed driver in the car.
Helmer estimated damage at $25,000-$50,000, including damage to property owner Troy Arnold’s fencing and bean field.
The vehicle was towed.
• At 12:27 p.m. on Tuesday, Brooke E. Carter, 23, Poland, was southbound on U.S. 231 approaching Deer Creek Drive in a 2016 Jeep Compass.
Carter told Deputy Helmer she dropped her drink and reached down to pick it up. In doing so, she failed to notice that the car in front of her was turning left onto Deer Creek Drive.
Carter was unable to avoid the crash.
Jennifer D. Mann, 47, Cloverdale, said she was attempting to turn east with the turn signal activated in her 2016 Hyundai Santa Fe. She told Helmer no northbound traffic was coming, but she had to slow down to make the turn, at which point Carter rear-ended her.
Neither driver, nor Mann’s passenger, were injured.
Both vehicles were towed. Helmer estimated damage at $25,000-$50,000.
The Greencastle Fire Department responded to three recent dispatches:
• At 3:25 p.m. on Tuesday, GFD was called to cover for the Cloverdale Township Volunteer Fire Department while units responded to the recent motor vehicle accident on Interstate 70. GFD returned to station at 4:18 p.m.
• At 8:08 a.m. on Wednesday, GFD was dispatched to a motor vehicle accident with injuries at 12 E. CR 300 South. Units arrived on the scene at 8:18 and assisted with patient care and cleaned debris from the roadway. GFD went back into service at 8:34 a.m.
• At 12:16 p.m. on Thursday, GFD was dispatched to 413 S. Locust St. for a fire alarm. Firefighters arrived at 12:20 and determined that the alarm was due to cooking. The alarm was then reset. GFD left at 12:25 p.m.
Additionally, GFD performed five medical assists and had three disregards during this time.
Information included in the Putnam Scanner is taken from reports provided to the Banner Graphic by the Greencastle Police, the Greencastle Fire and the Putnam County Sheriff’s departments.
Individuals listed in the blotter have been arrested on probable cause and have not been formally charged. Charging information may change after an initial arrest.
Questions about listed charging information should be directed to the arresting agency.