Third COVID-19 death confirmed in Putnam County
A third Putnam County resident died of COVID-19 on Saturday.
The Putnam County Health Department confirmed the death Sunday. No further information about the individual will be released due to privacy laws.
Local officials also confirmed there are 33 cases of COVID-19 in Putnam County.
The Health Department is continuing to investigate all confirmed cases of COVID-19 and notifying individuals who have been in direct contact with the patient.
Those who do not get a call were most likely not a direct contact during the infectious period, according to the Indiana State Dept. of Health guidelines.
Additional updates include:
• Mental health resources are available for county residents, including for those in situations involving domestic abuse.
Putnam County Hospital’s team is sharing resources to help the community navigate these challenging times. Visit www.pchosp.org to learn more.
• Stay at home if you can, and practice social distancing.
With state and federal leaders forecasting a surge of COVID-19 cases in the coming weeks, please continue to stay at home when possible and practice social distancing. To learn more, visit https://coronavirus.in.gov.
Local officials are also encouraging preventive steps, including:
• Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol.
• Don’t touch your eyes, nose or mouth, especially with unwashed hands.
• Avoid close contact with people who are showing symptoms of illness.
• Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
• Cover your cough or sneezes with a tissue or sneeze into your elbow.
• Throw the tissue in the garbage and make sure to clean your hands afterward.
• Stay home when you are sick.
• We are all in this together.
Putnam County is providing regular updates on COVID-19 to citizens as part of its effort to complement the daily updates from the ISDH.
The ISDH updates occur at 10 a.m. and can be accessed via www.coronavirus.in.gov. According to the ISDH, the number of tests it lists is provisional and reflects only those reported to ISDH. Numbers should not be characterized as a comprehensive total.
To learn more about Putnam County’s coordinated response to COVID-19, visit the Putnam County Hospital at www.pchosp.org/covid-19-updates or the Putnam County Health Department at www.putnamhealthindiana.org.