Putnam Scanner for July 23, 2021
Five people were booked in the Putnam County Jail recently.
• At 9:01 p.m. Linda R. Chiles, 60, Cloverdale, was housed at the jail for counterfeiting and deception.
• At 9:01 p.m. Ryder T. Chiles, 23, Cloverdale, was lodged at the jail on a pair of out-of-county warrants.
• At 4:46 p.m. Charity J. Weaver, 42, Poland, was taken into custody on a writ.
• At 8:31 p.m. Michael T. Wood, 60, Montezuma, was housed at the jail for driving while intoxicated.
• At 9:52 a.m. Accie D. Smith, 35, Indianapolis, was booked in for trafficking with an inmate and possession of a controlled substance.
One recent accident was investigated by Greencastle City Police officers.
• At 6:23 p.m. Monday, a one-car accident was reported in the 900 block of East Washington Street as Trevar Cox, 19, Greencastle, was eastbound, driving a 2007 Buick Rendezvous.
Cox told Capt. Charles Inman that a bee landed on his leg, causing him to take his eyes off the roadway. Consequently he drove directly into a Duke Energy utility pole across from 919 E. Washington St.
Both Cox and a passenger suffered minor injuries, to the face and arm, respectively, but declined medical attention.
Total damage in the accident was estimated at $2,500-$5,000.
GPD was assisted at the scene by Putnam EMS, DePauw Police, the Greencastle Fire Department, Duke Energy and Xfinity.
One summons was issued recently by City Police.
• At 1:46 p.m. Monday, Weilhelm Minartz, 40, Greencastle, was stopped on North Jackson Street by Chief Tom Suherlin.
Minartz, who was southbound on Jackson Street, was stopped by Chief Sutherlin for disregarding the railroad crossing arms.
Minartz will be summoned into court for driving with a suspended license with a prior offense.
The Greencastle Fire Department responded to 11 recent incidents:
• At 8:13 p.m. on Thursday, July 15, GFD was dispatched to 903 S. Locust St. for a tree branch that had fallen on fiber optic lines. Firefighters arrived at 8:16 and removed the lines. GFD went back into service at 8:29 p.m.
• At 12:17 a.m. on Friday, July 16, GFD was dispatched to Kappa Kappa Gamma on the DePauw University campus for a smoke detector activation. Firefighters arrived at 12:23 and were advised by that the smoke alarm had been worked on recently. The alarm was reset, and GFD went back into service at 12:30 a.m.
• At 5:34 a.m. on Friday, July 16, GFD was dispatched to 2012 Fairway Dr. for a tree on fire after power lines had fallen. Firefighters arrived at 5:43 and waited until Duke Energy came to repair the lines. GFD went back into service at 6:15 a.m.
• At 7:51 p.m. on Friday, July 16, GFD was dispatched to 713 E. Washington St. for a tree limb in a power line. Firefighters arrived at 7:54 and the road was shut down. The Greencastle Police Department took over the scene, and GFD went back into service at 8:21 p.m.
• At 12:54 p.m. on Saturday, July 17, GFD was dispatched to 412 E. Washington St. for a tree limb that had fallen on telephone lines. Firefighters arrived at 1:12 p.m. and advised that there was no danger. GFD went back into service at 1:20 p.m.
• At 11:23 a.m. on Sunday, July 18, GFD responded to a motor vehicle accident near Casey’s General Store on Bloomington Street. Firefighters arrived on the scene at 11:26 and cleaned debris from the roadway. GFD went back into service at 11:56 a.m.
• At 11:23 a.m. on Sunday, July 18, GFD was dispatched to 1543 S. Bloomington St. for a report of smoke. Firefighters arrived at 11:28 and did not find any signs of a fire. GFD went back into service at 11:49 a.m.
• At 1:25 p.m. on Sunday, July 18, GFD responded to a motorcycle accident with injuries at the Greencastle McDonald’s. Firefighters arrived on the scene at 1:29 and assisted with patient care. GFD went back into service at 2:03 p.m.
• At 10:41 p.m. on Sunday, July 18, GFD was dispatched to 106 S. Spring St. for a fire alarm. Firefighters arrived at 10:48 and were advised that the activation was accidental. The alarm was reset. GFD went back into service at 10:55 p.m.
• At 3:17 p.m. on Wednesday, GFD responded to a motor vehicle accident with injuries at 1223 E. CR 200 South. Firefighters arrived on the scene at 3:21 and assisted with patient care, as well as cleaned up debris. GFD went back into service at 4:07 p.m.
• At 7 a.m. on Thursday, GFD was dispatched to 106 S. Spring St. for a fire alarm. Firefighters arrived at 7:04 and determined the alarm was due to cooking. The alarm was reset. GFD went back into service at 7:13 a.m.
Additionally, GFD recently performed nine medical assists and had two disregards.
Information included in the Putnam Scanner is taken from reports provided to the Banner Graphic by the Greencastle Police, the Greencastle Fire and the Putnam County Sheriff’s departments.
Individuals listed in the blotter have been arrested on probable cause and have not been formally charged. Charging information may change after an initial arrest.
Questions about listed charging information should be directed to the arresting agency.