Tiger Cubs fall to Arrows in semifinal

Monday, October 23, 2006

SPENCER -- The Greencastle Tiger Cubs' volleyball team saw its season come to an end with ah eartbreaking loss to the Sullivan Golden Arrows Saturday in the second round of the Owen Valley sectional.

In the first game, the Tiger Cubs were able to hang tough early, but Sullivan went on a four-point run to get the Arrows rolling.

Mackenzie Simmons started the run for SHS with a kill, and Deborah Dickerson brought it to an end with back-to-back stuff blocks, resulting in a Greencastle time out.

Greencastle couldn't seem to find a flow until it went on two three-point runs midway through the match.

Lauren Robertson's bump found an empty Arrow floor and brought the Tiger Cubs to within one ta 13-14.

The Tiger Cubs continued to play tough, forcing a tie at 17-all when a kill from Olivia Miller found an opening in Sullivan territory.

Sullivan's Erika Huff broke the tie, though, with two powerful kills in a row making the score 19-17.

Huff's power would give GHS problems throughout the second and third games as well.

Sullivan stretched its lead to three at 22-19, but the Tiger Cubs weren't finished yet.

A block by Kristen Flint gave GHS a 24-22 lead, but following another kill from Huff, Sullivan scored three straight points to take the victory in the opening game, 26-24.

The Arrows started the second match right where they left off.

Greencastle scored the first point of the match, but Sullivan produced five straight points, including two consecutive aces from Alyssa Chagnon.

Sullivan soon upped its lead to 7-2 and continued to play strong, eventually going ahead 21-14.

A big kill from Robertson gave a new spark to the Tiger Cubs that ended up producing one of GHS's biggest rallies of the match.

Robertson, Flint and Megan Clodfelter led the rally, but Sullivan still walked away with a 25-17 win on an ace from Simmons.

The Tiger Cubs entered the third game showing a lot of emotion but started the game trailing 2-5.

Greencastle scored three straight points to tie the third game at 5-all on a kill from Miller and ap air of stuff blocks by Flint.

Robertson lifted the Tiger Cubs even more with a stuff and two kills to give Greencastle a 9-7 lead.

After some back-and-forth action the Tiger Cubs found themselves trailing 18-17, but an ace from Miller tied the game at 18.

Miller went on to close the mtach out with back-to-back kills to give the Tiger Cubs a 25-23 win in the third game.

The Tiger Cubs tried to keep running on emotion in the fourth game of the night and jumped out to a 5-1 lead, but some errant shots from Greencastle got Sullivan right back into the contest.

The Arrows took an 8-7 lead, and Huff kept the power coming to keep Sullivan on top.

Greencastle would go on another rally and eventually took a 20-17 lead with Laura Weatherford giving them a boost on back-to-back aces.

It wasn't enough, though, as Sullivan battled back to take a 26-24 win in the fourth game and a 3-1 match victory to end the Tiger Cubs' season.

Greencastle (25-5) bid farewell to seniors Robertson, Clodfelter and Tabitha Wilson.

At Owen Valley

Sectional Semifinal

Greencastle 24 17 25 24

Sullivan 26 25 23 26

Greencastle finished the season at 22-5.

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: