GHS lose to Cascade in heartbreaker

Friday, January 19, 2007

For The BannerGraphic

CLAYTON -- Friday night was winter homecoming for the students at Cascade High School, The Tiger Cubs were looking to sour the evening with a win on the road. But Cascade's homecoming would be a sweet affair as the Cadets handed the Tiger Cubs a loss in overtime, 55-53.

"Both teams had a lot of opportunities in this game." Greencastle coach Troy Greenlee said. "It is very disappointing to get so close and not win, we had chances and didn't do what was needed to win."

The Cadets and the Tiger Cubs were looking to start things off quick, as Greencastle's Brennan Burks drained a three to get the Tiger Cubs off to a good start but Jake Daugherty would have none of that as he would go down the floor and nail a three of his own.

The first quarter would see both teams trading buckets but would also see many forced turnovers. The end of the first quarter would show the Tiger Cubs shooting 2-for-7 from behind the arc and 2-of-6 from the inside the arc for a total of 12 points in the first. Cascade would shoot 1-for-2 from behind the arc and 4-of-6 from inside the arc. For a score of 15-12 in favor of Cascade.

The second quarter is where things started to heat up as both teams started running the ball up the court more and letting them fly. The game would be very even through the second until Erick Burgeson would drain a three with 2:40 to go in the half to give the Tiger Cubs its first lead since early in the first quarter. The Tiger Cubs would keep the lead going into halftime on top of the Cadets 26-24.

The third quarter was no different then the second with both teams scoring and the game staying close. Only this time it was Cascade who was fighting to take the lead and there time came at the 5:51 mark as they went up 29-28. But at the 5:11 mark, the game would take a twist with Greencastle using a lot of the clock only to come up empty by throwing the ball away, as Cascade drove to there end the shot was partially blocked giving the ball back to Greencastle where Faust would sink a three and give the lead back to Greencastle at 31-28. Both teams would trade points back and forth until a turn over by Greencastle would give Daugherty a chance to put the Cadets back up and that is what he would do hitting another shot from downtown putting the Cadets up 35-34 but Drew Evens would come down for Greencastle on the next possession and hit a three of his own giving Greencastle the lead again 37-35. Jason Mink hit a jumper for Cascade to tie it up at 37-all but with 40 seconds to go Zac Remsburg drains his second three-pointer of the game putting Greencastle up 40-37 to end the third quarter.

The fourth quarter started with both teams defense tightening up and nobody scoring for the first 2:03 seconds. Brad Suter would change that hitting a jumper to pull to within one point of Greencastle at 40-39. At the 5:02 mark Daugherty would hit a lay up to put Cascade up 41-40. Both offenses seemed to struggle to get going and with 4:29 seconds to go in the game Greenlee called a timeout.

After the time out, Burgeson would drain a little jumper to put Greencastle back up 42-41. Conner Guthrie hit two free throws on Zac Remsburg's fourth foul of the contest to go back up 43-42. A few minutes later Conner Guthrie picked up his third foul and sent Michael Richardson to the line where he hit both shots.

But Jason Mink would nail a jumper on the other end. With 1:30 to go in the game Michael Richardson would hit his first three pointer of the game and give Greencastle the lead 47-45, a quick miss by Cascade and a lay up by Burgeson and Greencastle goes up 49-45 and seems poised to take the victory with only one minute to go in the game. After a time out Daugherty for Cascade would hit a quick jumper to pull them to within two points at 49-47 with 30 seconds to go. A foul with 27 seconds to go puts Michael Richardson on the line for a one-and-one, but he would miss and Cascade would get the rebound and hold the ball. With 9.5 seconds to go, Suter drove the middle and pick up the foul. He hit both to send the game into overtime.

The four-minute overtime saw both teams score on there first possession but Greencastle missed a jump shot and Cascade would capitalize with Suter hitting a two to put Cascade up by two points at 53-51. Another missed three attempt by Greencastle and a foul sent Suter to the line and he hit one-of-two giving the Cadets a three-point advantage at 54-51.

With 32 seconds in overtime Burks hit a jumper for Greencastle pulling them to within one point at 54-53. With 21 seconds to go Greencastle put on the fullcourt press but Suter was fouled again and he hit one-of-two again giving the Cadets a 55-53 lead. Greencastle got one final shot attempt but it came up short and Cascade goes on to the victory 55-53

At Clayton

Greencastle 12 13 13 9 4 -- 53

Cascade 15 9 13 12 6 -- 55

Greencastle -- Burks- (19), Evens- (12), Burgeson- (8), Remsburg- (6), Richardson- (5), Faust- (3)

Cascade -- Suter- (18), Daugherty- (15), Guthrie- (13), Mink- (6), Galyak- (2), Arthur- (1).

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: