SP discussing uniforms in elementaries
GREENCASTLE -- South Putnam School Board is seeking feedback from parents about uniforms for elementary students.
A policy requiring uniforms for all elementary students is just an idea board members are discussing for next school year. Parents are encouraged to call the principal at their child's school and give their thoughts on the policy.
The following is a list of South Putnam elementary schools, phone numbers and principals:
* Central Elementary -- Debbie Steffy, 653-6175
* Fillmore Elementary -- Brad Hayes, 246-6136
* Reelsville Elementary -- Teresa Vapor, 672-4248
During the regular school board meeting Monday, board members voted to purchase a boiler and lighting in the gym at the high school. The 95 to 98 percent energy-efficient boiler will cost $42,000, which includes a $5,000 credit from Vectren.
"We will realize a good bit of savings with the new boiler," said Superintendent Bruce Bernhardt.
The board voted to cap the cost of new lighting at $15,000. Both the boiler and lighting will be purchased with leftover construction funds.
In other business:
* Technology director Steve Ricketts told board members the new computers came in under budget. Last month, the board approved the purchase of computers for staff including teachers, media center at SPHS and administration building at a cost not to exceed $80,000.
* A memorandum of understanding with Putnam County Emergency Management agency was unanimously passed. Bernhardt said the memorandum states the corporation's buses and drivers could be utilized in case of a countywide emergency.
* In personnel, Paul Scott resigned as custodian at SPHS; Shirley Knauer was hired as part-time custodian at Central. The report was passed.
* Students have less than a week before Christmas break, which begins Dec. 21. Students will return for second semester Jan. 5 with teachers returning Jan. 4 for records day.