Machine catches fire at Walmart Distribution

Friday, November 6, 2015

The Greencastle Fire Department spent several hours on the scene of an equipment fire at the Walmart Distribution Center Friday evening.

GFD Engineer Roy Bumgardner said a cardboard compactor overheated and caused a fire. The department was dispatched at 4:45 p.m. to the distribution center and returned to the fire department at 7:35 p.m.

He explained the nearly three-hour run was due to taking apart the machinery and pulling the cardboard from the compactor, as well as making sure any residual cardboard in the machine was removed to prevent further issues. The cardboard from the compactor was spread out and sprayed with water.

"It took a lot of work because we had to pull it all out by hand," Bumgardner explained.

The only damage was to the machine, and no injuries were reported.

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: