Putnam Scanner for Dec. 14, 2016
Nine people were booked in the Putnam County Jail recently.
• At 11:30 p.m. Deanna Rose Pelley, 24, Clayton, was lodged at the jail on an out-of-county warrant.
• At 7:54 p.m. Kevin Lee Hardcastle, 23, Greencastle, was taken into custody for invasion of privacy.
• At 4:57 p.m. James William Webb, 23, Cloverdale, was arrested on a warrant for probation violation.
• At 3:43 p.m. Kara Nicole Steadman, 30, Oklahoma City, was housed at the jail for auto theft.
• At 11:29 a.m. Timothy Scott Ashby, 47, Cloverdale, was charged with probation violation.
• At 3:28 a.m. Colby Alyn Ensor, 29, Fillmore, was booked in for operating while intoxicated.
•At 6:39 p.m. Angel Calderon, 22, Cloverdale, was lodged at the jail for criminal mischief and disorderly conduct.
• At 5:44 p.m. Dennis Lee Kent, 40, Cloverdale, was arrested for possession of methamphetamine, possession of a Schedule II controlled substance and on a warrant.
• At 10:19 a.m. Edward Ray Reeves, 20, Brazil, was housed at the jail on a court order.
A 30-year-old Putnam County woman is facing theft and other charges following an apparent shoplifting attempt Friday evening at the Greencastle Walmart store, City Police reported.
• At 6:35 p.m. Ashli Nicole Martin, Bainbridge, was arrested by Officer Darrel Bunten and booked into the Putnam County Jail for theft and false informing as well as on an Arkansas warrant for criminal trespassing and two outstanding Monroe County warrants for failure to appear in court in a child support case.
Officer Bunten reported that Martin allegedly tried the old tag-swapping move, switching a $79.99 price tag on a Zoomer Kitty robotic toy for a $3 price tag.
In all, she attempted to leave the store with $200.35 in actual merchandise -- allegedly including a shirt, two pairs of pants, adult and child’s jackets and a FurReal Friends panda toy -- that rang up as a total of $44.33 with the reported swapped tags.
In another GPD case, two Greencastle residents will be summoned into court on possession of paraphernalia charges following a Dec. 7 incident on the McDonald’s parking lot.
Officer Elsiana Crosby was called to the Indianapolis Road scene on the report of a suspicious vehicle parked in the lot. When she arrived, Crosby had to knock on the car window to get the attention of Kyle Ordway, 24, and Heather Dale, 26, who were reportedly passed out in their vehicle.
Putnam County sheriff’s deputies responded to six recent property-damage crashes.
• At 3:04 p.m. on Sunday, Shadrach E. Cross, 29, Cayuga, was eastbound on U.S. 36 in a 2002 Chevrolet Impala. Cross told Maj. Dwight Simmons he was distracted while speaking to his passenger and did not see the light at U.S. 231 turn red.
Joel D. Clendinen, 58, Bloomingdale, was making a left turn onto eastbound 36 from southbound 231 in a 2016 Toyota pickup. Cross hit Clendenin’s truck in the right rear.
Damage was estimated at $2,501-$5,000.
• At 12:20 a.m. on Sunday, Joshua A. Willer, 34, Greencastle, was southbound on U.S. 231 in a 2005 Jeep Wrangler when he swerved to miss a deer that had entered his lane.
Willer told Deputy Anthony Brown he lost control, with the Jeep entering the northbound lanes before making a sharp turn to the west.
The vehicle flipped onto its top and slid along the southbound lanes and into a yard. As the Jeep entered the ditch, it hit a mailbox.
Willer was taken to Putnam County Hospital for evaluation.
The vehicle was towed. Damage was estimated at $10,001-$25,000.
• At 8:50 p.m. on Saturday, Steven E. Spencer, 47, Coatesville, was backing out of a spot at the Groveland BP in a 2008 Dodge Ram.
Spencer told Deputy Mike Downing he felt the vehicle hit something and got out to discover that he had backed into a car, a 2013 Chevrolet Impala registered to Tyler S. Harris, Coatesville.
Damage was estimated at $1,001-$2,500.
• At 6:20 a.m. on Friday, Louise A. Zimmer, 58, Greencastle, was westbound in the parking lot of Casey’s General Store, Greencastle, in a 2012 Chevrolet Cruze. Barbara R. Grigsby, 57, Brazil, was northbound on U.S. 231 attempting to turn right into Casey’s in a 1993 Chevrolet Cavalier.
Grigsby told Capt. Tom Helmer she applied her brakes but slid into Zimmer’s car on the icy roadway.
Helmer was assisted by Greencastle Officer Josh Smith. Damage was estimated at $1,001-$2,500.
• At 10:25 p.m. on Thursday, Kylie M. Wright, 16, Reelsville, was northbound on County Road 250 West about one mile south of U.S. 40 in a 2002 Chevrolet Silverado.
Reserve Deputy Ken Rozelle reported that Wyatt failed to negotiate a curve on the snow-covered gravel road.
The truck traveled 60 feet off the road into a ditch that was about four feet deep, causing the truck to roll onto its top.
The truck was towed. Damage was estimated at $5,001-$10,000.
• At 6:05 a.m. on Thursday, David H. Jewell, 36, Poland, was northbound on U.S. 231 approaching U.S. 40 in a 2003 Chevrolet pickup when he hit a deer.
Deputy Virgil estimated damage at $1,001-$2,500.
Information included in the Putnam Scanner is taken from reports provided to the Banner Graphic by the Greencastle Police, the Greencastle Fire and the Putnam County Sheriff’s departments.
Individuals listed in the blotter have been arrested on probable cause and have not been formally charged. Charging information may change after an initial arrest.
Questions about listed charging information should be directed to the arresting agency.