Afternoon fire quickly extinguished at Sparks Commercial Tire
A major incident was likely averted Friday afternoon when a fire was quickly extinguished at Sparks Commercial Tire.
The fire, which was called in 2:03 p.m., was out upon the arrival of the Greencastle Fire Department five minutes later.
Assistant Chief Rob Frank told the Banner Graphic that employees of the 1230 N. Jackson St. business had used chemical extinguishers to put out the fire.
“We didn’t put a drop of water on it. There wasn’t really a fire when we got there,” Frank said.
Anticipating the possibility of a major structure fire, multiple other fire departments were dispatched to Sparks.
“Any time we have a confirmed structure fire, they drop a box alarm,” Frank said. “When we saw the fire was out, we disregarded them.”
GFD remained on the scene for nearly an hour, pulling some insulation out of the wall in the area to confirm the fire had not spread.
Firefighters also ventilated the building to drive out the smoke.
The Greencastle Police Department and Putnam County Sheriff’s Department also responded to the scene.