Putnam Scanner for October 2, 2019
Three people were booked in the Putnam County Jail on Monday.
• At 4:52 p.m. Joshua Duane Hickman, 32, Indianapolis, was lodged at the jail for criminal mischief.
• At 10:01 a.m. Melanie Anne Jones-Costa, 34, Lexington, Ky., was taken into custody on or court order.
• At 9:44 a.m. Frederick W. Morgan Jr., 48, Indianapolis, was booked in for nonsupport of a dependent child.
Putnam County sheriff’s deputies investigated two recent property-damage crashes.
• At 5:35 a.m. on Tuesday, Allen L. Cramer, 41, Fillmore, was northbound on County Road 600 East approaching the 90-degree turn at County Road 600 North in a 2001 Chevrolet Silverado.
Cramer told Deputy Matt Biggs a mechanical failure occurred in the front end, which is supported by evidence at the scene. Biggs believes speed to have also been a factor.
Biggs said that about 100 yards from the turn, braking skid marks are visible on the road. Furthermore, on what would have been the passenger side of the vehicle, the deputy found “jab” marks on the asphalt, which are not constant but are relatively the same distance per revolution.
Biggs believes the front passenger wheel assembly became defective.
Additionally, as the skid marks approach the turn, the driver’s side tire appears to still be pointed straight ahead, while the passenger side was turned.
The truck left the north side of the road and collided with a rock berm built to keep vehicles from entering a private pond.
Operation Life transported Cramer to the hospital with complaints of chest and back pain.
The vehicle was towed. Biggs estimated damage at $10,000-$25,000.
• At 7:25 a.m. on Monday, Diane M. Jones, 52, Russellville, was eastbound on State Road 236 approaching County Road 350 West in a 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee when she hit a deer.
Deputy Biggs estimated damage at $2,500-$5,000.
The Greencastle Fire Department responded to one recent dispatch:
• At 9:40 p.m. on Monday, GFD was alerted to a tree in the road at 2181 S. CR 50 West. Units arrived at 9:45 and cut up the tree with a chainsaw and removed it from the roadway. GFD cleared the scene at 10:01 p.m.
Additionally, GFD performed three medical assists around this dispatch.
Information included in the Putnam Scanner is taken from reports provided to the Banner Graphic by the Greencastle Police, the Greencastle Fire and the Putnam County Sheriff’s departments.
Individuals listed in the blotter have been arrested on probable cause and have not been formally charged. Charging information may change after an initial arrest.
Questions about listed charging information should be directed to the arresting agency.