Jefferson Township home damaged by fire

Sunday, December 6, 2020
Firefighters look over the damage from a structure fire at a home in Jefferson Township Saturday night.
Courtesy Jefferson Township Fire Department

BELLE UNION — A quick response by local fire departments likely prevented further damage in a house fire Saturday night in Jefferson Township.

Around 8 p.m., departments were dispatched to a box alarm at 7103 S. CR 425 East, the home of Bonnie Love.

A neighbor’s dog actually noticed the fire first, leading to the first of several calls to 911 Dispatch regarding the fire.

Firefighters believe a Saturday fire in a Jefferson Township home began when hot ash from a woodstove caught the floor nearby on fire.
Courtesy Jefferson Township Fire Department

Love was not home at the time. No emergency responders or civilians were injured.

Jefferson Township Fire Chief Rick Cooper told the Banner Graphic that, fortunately, the Cloverdale Township Volunteer Fire Department was having its Christmas party at the station, so Cloverdale was on the scene first, with his own department on scene soon after.

Firefighters arrived to find the fire through the roof.

The quick response by several departments — with Madison Township firefighters were also at their station for a party — helped get the blaze under control.

The fire was knocked down quickly and was out as of 9:27 p.m.

Other departments on the scene included Greencastle, Fillmore, Floyd Township, Putnamville Correctional Facility, Reelsville and Cataract, as well as Putnam County EMS, Putnam County Sheriff’s Office, Indiana State Police, Hendricks Power and the American Red Cross.

Cooper said the blaze appears to have started in the living room, next to the wood stove, though it was not a chimney fire.

Instead, firefighters suspect hot ashes got on flooring nearby, as the fire burned through the floor.

One of the most difficult tasks was locating Love, as officials tried to reach her to no avail.

Finally, a friend of hers heard about it on the scanner and was able to get ahold of her.

Love arrived at the scene later, as firefighters were preparing to leave. The responders were able to take her through the house to retrieve some possessions. A friend picked her up to give her a place to stay.

Cooper explained that crews were able to salvage quite a few items from the home, a process that resumed on Sunday.

View 3 comments
Note: The nature of the Internet makes it impractical for our staff to review every comment. Please note that those who post comments on this website may do so using a screen name, which may or may not reflect a website user's actual name. Readers should be careful not to assign comments to real people who may have names similar to screen names. Refrain from obscenity in your comments, and to keep discussions civil, don't say anything in a way your grandmother would be ashamed to read.
  • God bless all of our fire fighters. Thankful that Ms. Love is all right.

    -- Posted by vwhitaker11 on Sun, Dec 6, 2020, at 5:44 PM
  • So thankful for all these firefighters. They come from all over when an emergency call comes in. And most of them don't get a dollar for it. Thank you!

    -- Posted by H_lake34 on Mon, Dec 7, 2020, at 1:36 PM
  • We greatly admire our volunteer firefighters. Thank you for all that you do.

    -- Posted by tolomac on Mon, Dec 7, 2020, at 7:53 PM
Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: