Putnam Scanner for April 28, 2023
Three people were booked in the Putnam County Jail recently.
• At 5:24 a.m. Christopher D. Howe, 40, Cloverdale, was housed at the jail on a Marion County warrant.
• At 9:46 p.m. Carroll G. Evans, 48, Indianapolis, was lodged at the jail on a local warrant.
• At 4:47 p.m. Keven D. Crowe, 31, Coatesville, was taken into custody for domestic battery and criminal confinement.
One arrest and one citation were reported among recent activity of the Greencastle City Police:
• At 12:56 a.m. Tuesday, Heriberto Milpalacios, 27, Greencastle, was arrested by Officer Billy DeWitt.
Taken into custody on South Arlington Street, Milpalacios was lodged in the Putnam County Jail on a charge of operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated.
He registered a .098 percent blood-alcohol concentration under portable breathalyzer testing.
• At 10:24 p.m. Wednesday, Jeannette Johnson, 52, Greencastle, was ticketed by Officer Damon Ludwig.
Stopped on Washington Street at Durham Street, Johnson was cited for having an expired license plate (June 2022).
Putnam County sheriff’s deputies investigated three recent crashes.
• At 6:35 a.m. on Tuesday, Charrity L. Bell, 42, Poland, was northbound on State Road 243 in a 2016 Mazda CX-3 when she hit a deer.
The vehicle was towed. Deputy David Bennett estimated damage at $2,500-$5,000.
• At 9:40 p.m. on Monday, Lawrence S. Marchbanks, 50, Greencastle, was northbound on County Road 625 West in a 2012 Dodge Ram when he left the roadway.
Marchbanks told Deputy Todd Hopkins he had hit a deer and then he swerved to miss more, leaving the road and hitting a narrow roadway sign before becoming stuck in the ditch.
Marchbanks said he had called for a friend to tow him out prior to Hopkins’ arrival. However, Hopkins noted that Marchbanks’ gas tank was in danger of rupturing on the broken sign post if not professionally removed.
As they waited for the wrecker, Hopkins noted that Marchbanks showed signs of impairment. He was found to be impaired after completing field sobriety tests and testing at .12 ACE on a portable breath test. He agreed to a chemical test, on which he tested at .185 ACE at the hospital.
Marchbanks was taken into custody for driving while intoxicated.
Other deputies on the scene advised there was no sign of a collision with a deer, nor that the truck had swerved and lost control.
Hopkins estimated damage at $2,500-$5,000.
• At 5:36 a.m. on Thursday, April 20, Lorain A. Raquel, 69, Coatesville, was southbound on County Road 725 East in a 2019 Ford Ecosport when she hit a dead tree that had fallen across the road.
Reserved Commander Ken Rozelle noted that the National Weather Service had indicated winds were blowing at 25 mph at the time.
The vehicle lost all its motor oil due to undercarriage damage and had to be towed.
Information included in the Putnam Scanner is taken from reports provided to the Banner Graphic by the Greencastle Police, the Greencastle Fire and the Putnam County Sheriff’s departments.
Individuals listed in the blotter have been arrested on probable cause and have not been formally charged. Charging information may change after an initial arrest.
Questions about listed charging information should be directed to the arresting agency.