[Nameplate] Fair ~ 48°F  
High: 72°F ~ Low: 52°F
Friday, May 6, 2016

Greencastle home damaged by Monday fire

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

An electrical short is apparently to blame for a fire that scorched a Greencastle area home Monday morning.

Greencastle firefighters were called to the home of Larry and Connie Query, 2984 E. SR 240, at 11:53 a.m. Upon arrival, they found smoke emanating from the basement and first story of the home.

Greencastle Fire Chief Bill Newgent told the BannerGraphic that the fire started in the basement.

"It appears to be an electrical short in the ceiling area," he said.

Thankfully no one was home at the time of the fire and no firefighters were injured in fighting the blaze.

Newgent said that the Putnam County Red Cross was assisting the family. Firefighters were back on station at 3:10 p.m.

Damage to the home was estimated at $20,000-$30,000. Damage to the contents of the home was estimated at $10,000, Newgent said.

Monday's fire was the first time GFD used its new communication system for dispatching structure fires.

The Mutual Aid Box Alarm System allows dispatchers to easily notify all Putnam County fire departments of a fire and helps them decide which departments should send personnel and equipment.

Newgent said it makes the job a lot easier for both the dispatchers and the incident commander. Putnam County is the second county in the state to use this system of dispatching, he said.

Assisting Greencastle were Cloverdale Twp., Bainbridge, Fillmore, Jefferson Twp., Operation Life and the Red Cross. Madison Twp. covered GFD station.Helen Cripe, Greencastle, died Tuesday morning at Mill Pond Health Campus.

Arrangements are pending at Bittles and Hurt Funeral Home.



Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: