[Nameplate] Fair ~ 54°F  
High: 60°F ~ Low: 46°F
Thursday, Oct. 23, 2014

GHS softball falls to Terre Haute South

Tuesday, April 10, 2007

(Photo)
Erica Collins hits a grounder in the bottom of the first in Monday's 7-1 loss to Terre Haute South. The Tiger Cubs collected only three hits on the night.
Monday was not kind to the Greencastle girls' softball team, as it fell to Terre Haute South, 7-1, at home.

The game was delayed an hour and that seemed to take the fire out of the Tiger Cubs. GHS seemed a little flat at the beginning but ended the game strong.

"Terre Haute South is a very good older ball club that is a big 4A school," coach Dave Keller said. "We are a smaller young 3A school and we competed with them for six of the seven innings."

Greencastle watched as Terre Haute South came out strong. Macy Toon and Rikke Fulkerson led off with back-to-back singles and then one batter later, winning pitcher Jessica Jacso reached base on a walk.

Kelly Fougerousse came to the plate and fired a shot back up the middle, which Cassie Alspaugh snagged for the out and then rocketed to first for the double play to end the inning.

As Greencastle took to the plate, the Tiger Cubs proceeded to go three up and three down during the next three innings, at which time the Braves scored five runs to widen the gap.

The Tiger Cubs' first hit came in the bottom of the fourth when Tabitha Wilson smacked a single. Their next hit came in the sixth when Becca Seahorn slammed a double and Alspaugh hit a single but the Tiger Cubs were unable to capitalize.

One thing that plagued the Tiger Cubs on the night was fielding errors, but that is something Keller believes team can and will correct.

"We had one bad defensive inning but we will get rid of that as time goes on," he commented.

The Tiger Cubs held close after the Braves big third inning, allowing them to only score one more run over four innings.

"All in all, I was happy with our effort for 90 percent of the game," Keller said. "We just need to focus from the beginning to the end and we'll improve and we'll pick up the other 10 percent."

Alspaugh was solid for GHS throwing for nine strikeouts, three walks and nine hits.

"Cassie kept us in the game," Keller commented. "She pitched very well and now we feel that by the end of the year we will have a very strong one-two punch on the mound."

In the junior varisty game, Greencastle lost 17-2. Dee Wood had a triple and an inside the park home run for the Tiger Cubs.

Greencastle will host South Vermillion today at 5 p.m.

At Greencastle

T.H. South 105 100 0 -- 7 9 2

Greencastle 000 000 1 -- 1 3 4

Jacso and Fendrick (THS); Alspaugh and Wilson (GHS).

WP -- Jessica Jacso

LP -- Cassie Alspaugh

2B -- Seahorn (GHS); Wickware, Fendrick (THS)

Next game -- Greencastle will host South Vermillion today with a 5 p.m. start.



Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration. If you already have an account on this site, enter your username and password below. Otherwise, click here to register.

Username:

Password:  (Forgot your password?)

Your comments:
Please be respectful of others and try to stay on topic.