Tiger Cubs down Southmont for fifth win

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

CRAWFORDSVILLE -- Four first half goals proved to be all the Greencastle boys' varsity soccer team needed to hand the host Southmont Mounties their first loss of the season Tuesday.

The Cubs got off to a bit of a shaky start and found themselves down a goal early when Southmont's Jacob Carey headed in a corner kick with less than four minutes played (36:22).

Greencastle has played from behind in all but one match this season, so it was really no surprise that Spencer Moore scored to tie the game less than a minute later at 35:46.

Just two minutes later, Greg Lilly was taken down inside the Southmont penalty area and Greencastle was awarded a penalty kick. Lilly put the ensuing free kick into the net at 33:43 to play to give the Cubs the lead 2-1.

Southmont came right back with senior Nathaniel Borden netting a goal at 31:45 to tie the score again at 2-2.

"We knew coming in to the game that they were 5-0 and they were scoring a lot of goals. It looked like it was going to be a real high scoring match after seeing four goals scored in just over eight minutes." said Dave Lilly.

Things settled down for both sides over the next ten minutes of play. Southmont was pushing up hard in the back and they were able to catch Greencastle forwards offside 5 times in the first half.

The Tiger Cubs were finally able to connect on some long timed runs. Cody Watson beat the Mounties' back line and then senior goalkeeper Nick Truncone to give the Cubs the lead again with 16:52 to play in the first half.

The long breakaway runs continued and after several missed opportunities Lilly was able to beat Truncone again with 4:05 to go, extending the Tiger Cubs lead to 4-2 where it remained at the break. The second half play was very physical with neither team gaining a clear advantage in terms of shots on goal or corner kicks.

The Tiger Cubs' starting keeper Ryan Payne recorded 11 saves in the first half and 5 in the second before being relieved by Kyle Parker with 8:39 to play in the match.

Southmont applied constant pressure for the remainder of the game. Erik Garcia put in the final goal of the night for Southmont, when a shot slipped past Parker with 7:44 to go. The Tiger Cubs regrouped and held on for the win.

"We made several late substitutions and we were not well organized when Kyle came into the game. We panicked a little at the end of the game and let them score a late goal. I thought we outplayed them for most of the night. I was pretty happy with our overall effort except for the first and last ten minute periods of the match." Coach Lilly said.

The Tiger Cubs (5-1) will be home at Dee Monnett Field Thursday to take on the North Putnam Cougars at 5 p.m.

At Southmont

SHS 2 1 -- 3

GHS 4 0 -- 4

Goals -- GHS G.Lilly (2), S.Moore, C. Watson SHS J.Carey, N.Borden, E.Garcia

Assists -- GHS G.Lilly, S.Moore

Saves-- GHS R.Payne (16), K.Parker (2)

Next match -- The Tiger Cubs (5-1) will be home at Dee Monnett Field Thursday to take on the North Putnam Cougars at 5 p.m.

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: