The Washburn Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution Pioneer Cabin project was responsible for the preservation of the two structures. A dedication took place on Sept. 18, 1938 for the purpose of "being educational for present and future generations as well as preserving something from the past," according to a booklet entitled "Celebrate Our Historic Places" from a tour sponsored by the Heritage Preservation Society on May 18, 1986.
The small cabin, which was restored, was given to the group by William Lovett of Roachdale, who bought the farm where it was located in 1892.
The cabin was built in 1858 on land obtained from the United States government in 1832 by William Nelson Jr.
Deteriorated logs were replaced from the remains of one of the oldest cabins on the Old National Trail,
The larger cabin was reconstructed from a two-story four-room cabin that was located near Belle Union.
Frank Vaughn donated it in memory of his parents, Strother P. and Nancy Vaughn.
It was built by Joel Vermillion on land purchased July 11, 1840 from Quinton Vandike. According to the HPS pamphlet, the cabin has especially fine timber that would be very difficult to duplicate today.
Both cabins were furnished as homes of the period with furniture, cooking and eating utensils, tools and other necessities. All the items were donated by members of the Washburn Chapter of the DAR.
The DAR gives tours at various times. Contact the Greencastle Parks and Recreation Department at 653-3395 for times and dates.