[Nameplate] Fair ~ 46°F  
High: 75°F ~ Low: 54°F
Sunday, Apr. 20, 2014

Blaze guts Fillmore home

Saturday, August 21, 2010

(Photo)
The Fillmore home of Bret Nonnemaker was heavily damaged by fire Friday afternoon. Fire crews from Floyd Township Fire Department were assisted by representatives from Bainbridge, Danville, Fillmore, Greencastle and Mill Creek Fire Departments.
FILLMORE -- A Fillmore home was heavily damaged by fire Friday afternoon.

Floyd Township Fire Department Assistant Chief Roger Wright said the fire call came in at 1:20 p.m. as a structure fire at 393 Mill Springs, Heritage Lake, Fillmore.

"I was first on the scene," Wright said. "I literally live 10 houses away."

Wright said flames had engulfed a portion of the two-story home, which sat on a full basement and is owned by Bret Nonnemaker.

"The homeowner was at home when the fire started, but no injuries were reported," Wright said.

When he arrived on scene, Wright was alarmed to discover that the heat of the fire was coming near an outside propane tank.

He began dousing the tank with a garden hose and called for tankers.

"This fire was 80 percent knocked down by firefighter Ted Salzman on the pump panel, firefighter-medic Kenny Human and firefighter Kurtis Belcher on the hose line and myself in command," Wright said. "Spot fires were put out and overhaul was completed with the help of Bainbridge, Danville, Fillmore, Greencastle and Mill Creek fire departments. Our thanks to all."

Wright said less than 2,000 gallons of water were used to quell the blaze.

"What we had was a lot of manpower, which was the reason we were able to save so much of the contents of the home," he said.

No damage estimates are available yet, but Wright said in his opinion, "the house is totaled."

"However, we were able to save 80 percent of the contents, which I think is amazing," he said.

The fire has been ruled accidental, Wright said -- the result of a small outside gas leak and an electrical short in an air conditioning unit.


Comments
Note: The nature of the Internet makes it impractical for our staff to review every comment. If you feel that a comment is offensive, please Login or Create an account first, and then you will be able to flag a comment as objectionable. Please also note that those who post comments on bannergraphic.com may do so using a screen name, which may or may not reflect a website user's actual name. Readers should be careful not to assign comments to real people who may have names similar to screen names. Refrain from obscenity in your comments, and to keep discussions civil, don't say anything in a way your grandmother would be ashamed to read.

Great job everyone who was there. I am glad to see that there is as few fires in the area or county considering the dry spell we all have had.... PS Van Bibber Lake Fire Department having a hog roast Saturday of Labor Day weekend i believe from 12-8 check closer to time on times....

-- Posted by vblfd912 on Sat, Aug 21, 2010, at 4:34 AM

I was kind of wandering that myself.. was the fire in heritage lake or filmore lol im glad that i am not the only one to notice that lol Great Job agian Firefighters....

-- Posted by vblfd912 on Sat, Aug 21, 2010, at 8:00 PM

A meer technicality. The people who live at VanBibber lake have a Greencastle address. Could it possibly be that there are no post offices at Heritage or Van Bibber lakes,and there are in Fillmore and Greencastle.

-- Posted by interestedperson on Sat, Aug 21, 2010, at 11:05 PM

npgrad2008, you're probably the most ignorant poster I've seen in recent times here. Heritage Lake the town does not exist. It's either a Fillmore or Coatesville home. End of story.

-- Posted by oh-wow! on Sun, Aug 22, 2010, at 10:34 PM


Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration. If you already have an account on this site, enter your username and password below. Otherwise, click here to register.

Username:

Password:  (Forgot your password?)

Your comments:
Please be respectful of others and try to stay on topic.