[Nameplate] Partly Cloudy ~ 70°F  
High: 73°F ~ Low: 49°F
Thursday, Apr. 28, 2016

Fire in Morton

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

MORTON -- A stove fire in Morton that got out of control caused between $4,000 and $5,000 in damage to a house located at 5177 N. C.R. 600W, estimated Greencastle fire chief Bill Newgent.

Newgent said that, while it was hard to tell exactly what caused the fire, it might have been caused by a crack in the flue that spread to the wall. The fire consumed the outside wall of the house and caused damage to the chimney, necessitating its being knocked down.

"Whenever a chimney becomes super heated like that, it can crack the cement block and become unstable," said Newgent.

No one was injured in the fire. Bev Crawford was in the house napping when the fire started, but her dogs -- Gunner, a Miniature Pinscher mix and Sam, a chocolate Labrador Retriever -- woke her.

Responding to the fire were representatives of the Bainbridge Fire Department, Clinton Township Rescue and Fire Department, Greencastle Fire Department and the Russellville Fire Department.

More information will be available in tomorrow's Banner Graphic.



Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: