In an effort to give better access to the community, Greencastle Community School Corporation offices will expand their office hours for the coming school year.
Beginning Tuesday, the first day of school for GCSC, the offices at all five schools and the Central Office will be open 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday.
"We believe that it is crucial to have our offices staffed and available to assist parents and students with inquiries, information, and support before and after school hours as we seek to better serve our families and community," GCSC Superintendent Lori Richmond said.
The expanded hours don't necessarily mean additional hours for GCSC staffers. Instead, the new policy will ensure doors are unlocked and phone lines are open for more access.
"In the past, administrators and staff were always on site well before and after these hours, but we did not always have a live answer in the offices for inquiries," Richmond said. "We look forward to being able to better partner with our families with this extended availability."
With school about to begin, the board approved a number of resignations and hirings in teaching and administrative positions.
Resignations included Scott Knapp as athletic director, Jarrod Duff as GMS P.E. and health teacher, Amanda York as Ridpath Title I Teacher and Jenny Owens-Cripe as part-time elementary guidance counselor.
New hires included Heather Miller as temporary Ridpath grade 1 teacher, Rhonda Kessler as school nurse, Robert Walls as library media for elementary schools, Anne Graham as part-time temporary special education teacher, Valorie Farkas as temporary GMS special education teacher, Kaitlyn Hicks as Tzouanakis teacher, Jill Love as temporary Ridpath teacher, Maria Stierwalt as temporary Deer Meadow teacher and Culley DeGroote as temporary GMS P.E. and health teacher.
Bob Hedge was also rehired to serve two periods per day as temporary band director.
Richmond said that unless there were last-minute changes, the teaching staff is filled for the school year.
The board recognized corporation treasurer Nancy Marlow, who is retiring following 16 years with GCSC and nine with another school system.
"Greencastle's been good to me, and I've enjoyed every day of it," Marlow said.
Sue Kass was approved as Marlow's replacement.
The board accepted several other personnel items:
* Resignations: Pat Lady as grade 4 instructional assistant; Erika Bell as GHS cafeteria assistant; Terri Collins as GHS secretary, Pep Club sponsor, website developer and homecoming parade coordinator; Amanda Jellison as GHS cafeteria assistant; Sherry Hanley as GMS custodian; Fran Luedke as Tzouanakis noon aide; Chris Williamson as GMS noon aide.
* Transfers: Tamra Walker from Ridpath principal to GMS principal, Shawn Gobert from GMS principal to Ridpath principal, Kara Thomas from grade 1 teacher to Title I teacher at Ridpath; Nancy Hagen from Deer Meadow noon aide to cafeteria assistant, Yvonne Carter from Deer Meadow noon aide to GHS cafeteria assistant, Katie Mishler from GHS instructional assistant to Deer Meadow noon aide, Andra Guyer from Ridpath noon aide to Tzouanakis noon aide.
* New hires: Julie Papoccia as Deer Meadow preschool instructional assistant, Patricia Pittman as GHS cafeteria assistant, Jessica Tarr as Tzouanakis instructional assistant, Melissa Maginity and Lisa Smith as Deer Meadow noon aides.
* Appointment: Amy Robinson as Ridpath web page developer.
* Extracurriculars: Brad Key appointed GHS boys' tennis head coach, Isaac Case and Bart Spencer appointed GHS volunteer assistant boys' tennis coaches, Kyle Gibbons resignation as freshman football lay coach, David Stephens appointed GHS assistant football coach, Adam Edwards at GMS football volunteer, Trina Manalo and Ivonne Martinez approved as volunteer GMS cross country coaches, Lindsay Etcheson appointed Pep Club sponsor and homecoming parade sponsor.