The 2011 fall semester is more than two weeks old and things are still settling into place for the employees of Greencastle Community Schools.
All teaching positions were filled prior to the Aug. 16 start of classes, but some shuffling continues in other positions throughout the corporation, as the board accepted 46 personnel items at Wednesday's special session.
"Hopefully this is the bulk of the moves," GCSC Superintendent Lori Richmond said. "Presently most of our positions are filled."
Perhaps most interesting is a move that has not yet been made. With the process of hiring a new athletic director ongoing, the board voted to compensate high school assistant principal Russ Hesler for pulling double duty.
Hesler, who has been acting as athletic director since Scott Knapp's resignation in early August, will receive a weekly $500 stipend for the task until a new director is hired.
In varsity coaching news, former GHS girls' soccer coach Maurice McKee was reappointed to the position for the remainder of the year following Curt Bingman's resignation on Aug. 22.
Kent Menzel was also appointed as the GHS girls' and boys' swimming coach.
Sue Kass, who was appointed corporation treasurer at the Aug. 9 meeting, resigned the new post, effective Aug. 29.
The board also approved a contract with Educational Services Company (ESC) to review the corporation's insurance plan. ESC will examine all details of the present plan as well as exploring other options.
By contract, the services will cost the school a maximum of $3,200. If ESC believes services will exceed this amount, it will require board approval.
An anonymous donation of $1,600 was also accepted to the middle school athletic program for the purchase of new cross country uniforms.
Personnel items also included:
* Resignations: Melanie Duncan as school psychologist, Sept. 9; Joan Mundy as occupation therapist, Sept. 2; Robin Heineman as GMS cafeteria assistant; Hailey Wright as pre-school bus monitor; Valarie Serviss as custodian, Sept. 2; Valorie Farkas as short-term substitute teacher for Warren, Aug. 17.
* Termination: Renee Miller as executive secretary, Aug. 19.
* Autumn Ramsey's maternity leave was extended through the end of the school year.
* Diane Pierce transferred from GHS secretary/receptionist to GHS principal's secretary.
* New hires: Brenda Johnson as GHS secretary/receptionist; JoEllen Remsburg as high school ECA treasurer; Jayme Barber as payroll clerk; Dan TeGrotenhuis as home/school liaison; Anne Kinton as Tzouanakis instructional assistant; Laurie Ferguson as regular route bus driver; Tonya King, Nancy Brock and Janet Brown as substitute bus drivers; Candice Childres as GMS custodian; Candice Pelfrey as pre-school bus monitor; Melissa Wright at GMS noon aide; Jennifer Hanks as GMS noon aide; Jennifer Hanks as alternative school noon aide at GMS; Brittany Eubank as Ridpath noon aide; Shannon Hammond as Ridpath noon aide; Samantha Callahan as speech aide.
* Extracurricular positions: Sarah Booth appointed GHS honor council sponsor; Carrie Hamilton appointed GHS drama music director; Jana Boggess resigned as GHS honor council sponsor and junior class sponsor; James Bradley Wood hired as freshman football lay coach; Cathy McCall and Ryan Keller appointed National Honor Society sponsors; Culley DeGroote appointed GMS middle school student council sponsor; David Stephens appointed seventh-grade boys' basketball coach; Stacey Stoffregen and Art Dwiggins appointed GMS track head coaches; Amy Weliever appointed GMS track assistant coaches; Hope Crosbie and Suzanne Funk appointed sixth-grade sports dance sponsors; Paige Tesmer appointed GMS cheer coach; Lindsey Etcheson appointed GMS assistant cheer coach; Josh Buis appointed GHS strength coach.