Police scanner for Sept. 23
Greencastle City Police are investigating a theft at the Walmart store on the city's East Side.
Approximately 50 used batteries, valued at $450, were stolen from the used battery cage located near the automotive area outside the southwest corner of the building.
The theft was discovered during examination of the store's surveillance video, GPD Sgt. Chris Jones reported.
Jones was called to Walmart to investigate the incident, which according to the video timeline, occurred at 8:25 p.m. Tuesday.
The video reportedly showed a white Budget box truck backing up to the used battery cage and two suspects getting out and loading up the batteries.
* On Sept. 21 at 8:02 a.m., Timothy L. Vandagrifft, 57, Greencastle, was northbound on U.S. 231 near County Road 350 North in a 2009 Ford When Timothy S. Miller, 29, Greencastle, crossed the center line in a 2004 Chevrolet, sideswiping him. Miller continued southbound into a ditch.
Miller could not give a reason he crossed the center line. he said he did not fall asleep or get distracted in any way. Vandagrifft said he was between guardrails, and he avoided a head on collision but could not avoid the sideswipe.
Vandagrifft was treated for a complaint of body pain. Miller was treated for a possible fracture or dislocation in his lower leg or foot.
Three people were booked into the Putnam County Jail on Wednesday.
* At 10 a.m. Robert Allen Jones, 48, Bainbridge, was housed at the jail for probation violation.
* At 10:30 a.m. Cole Thomas Benjamin Cooper, 19, Centerpoint, was booked for probation violation.
* At 9:45 p.m. Bradley James Bowman, 28, Cloverdale, was arrested for possession of marijuana and possession of paraphernalia.
* On Wednesday, Sept. 7 at 11:52 a.m. the Greencastle Fire Department responded to an alarm at 106 S. Spring St. Investigation revealed an unintentional alarm. Cleared 12:05 p.m.
At 6:41 p.m. crews were dispatched to an active alarm at 505 S. Jackson St. They investigated then reset the alarm. Cleared 6:48 p.m.
* On Thursday, Sept. 8 at 6:04 a.m. GFD assisted Operation Life at 139 Hoodhaven Dr. Cleared 6:26 a.m.
At 4:04 p.m. GFD assisted with extrication at an accident on Manhattan Road north of U.S. 40. Cleared 5:02 p.m.
At 7:19 p.m. personnel responded to an alarm at Humbert Hall, 208 E. Olive St., but were disregarded at 7:23 p.m.
* On Friday, Sept. 9 at 12:43 a.m. GFD responded to an alarm at 904 S. College Ave. They were disregarded at 12:51 a.m.
At 7:43 p.m. they investigated an alarm at 330 Greenwood Ave. and reset the alarm. Cleared 8:06 p.m.
At 8:38 p.m. they were dispatched to an alarm at 105 W. Hanna St. and were disregarded at 8:40 p.m.
At 8:42 p.m. GFD investigated an alarm at 904 S. College St. The alarm was due to hair product. Cleared 8:49 p.m.
* On Saturday, Sept. 10 at 2:43 a.m. GFD was dispatched to an alarm at 807 S. College Ave. but were disregarded at 2:46 a.m.
At 4:39 p.m. they responded to a medical assist at 733 E. Washington St. Cleared 5:03 p.m.
At 4:55 p.m. personnel investigated an alarm caused by shower steam at 105 W. Hanna St. Cleared 5:07 p.m.
At 7:52 p.m. crews conducted a carbon monoxide investigation at 729 E. Seminary St. Air monitoring revealed no problem. Cleared 8:31 p.m.
At 9:16 p.m., GFD was dispatched to assist the Greencastle Police Department with entry at 1009 Judson Ct. The police were at the wrong address, so assistance wasn't needed. Cleared 9:37 p.m.
At 9:41 p.m. they investigated a smoke smell at 1001 Sherwood Dr. and found nothing. Cleared 9:53 p.m.
* On Sunday, Sept. 11 at 8:42 p.m. GFD investigated an alarm due to burnt food at 106 Spring St. Cleared 8:47 p.m.
* On Monday, Sept. 12 at 6:18 a.m. personnel were dispatched to a medical assist at The Waters, 1601 Hospital Dr. They were disregarded at 6:23 a.m.
At 11:15 a.m. crews investigated an alarm due to cooking at 106 S. Spring St. Cleared 11:25 a.m.
At 4:16 p.m., GFD assisted with the cleanup of fluid and debris at a motor vehicle accident at the intersection of Bloomington and Tennessee streets. Cleared 4:45 p.m.
* On Tuesday, Sept. 13 at 6:20 p.m. crews responded to a motor vehicle accident on U.S. 231 North in front of Little Dude Ranch. They assisted with patient, traffic control and cleanup. Cleared 7:31 p.m.
At 7:34 p.m. they were dispatched to 412 S. Jackson St. but were disregarded at 7:36 p.m.
At 8:35 p.m. GFD responded to a smoke investigation on Martinsville St. They found an unauthorized burn at 32 Martinsville St. They approved the burn and returned to station. Cleared 8:54 p.m.
* On Wednesday, Sept. 14 at 3 p.m. GFD cleaned up glass at a motor vehicle accident at Warren Dr. and SR 240. Cleared 3:38 p.m.
At 7:49 p.m. they were dispatched to an alarm at 109 W. Hanna St. but were disregarded before leaving at 7:51 p.m.
* On Thursday, Sept. 15 at 7:24 a.m. GFD assisted the Cloverdale Township Fire Department with a smoke scare on U.S. 40 east of the Putnamville Collision Center sign. The investigation revealed no problem. Cleared 7:42 a.m.
At 9:32 a.m. crews investigated an alarm at Humbert Hall, 208 E. Olive St. The alarm was caused by steam from a shower. Cleared 9:43 a.m.
At 1:08 p.m. personnel were dispatched to a detector activation at 11 E. Larabee St. but were disregarded at 1:19 p.m.
At 2:02 p.m. GFD was dispatched to a medical assist at 327 Bloomington St. but was disregarded at 2:06 p.m.
At 2:37 p.m. they performed a medical assist at 402 W. Washington St. Cleared 2:48 p.m.
At 2:46 p.m. crews responded to a medical assist at 1109 Avenue D. Cleared 3:27 p.m.
At 2:48 p.m. personnel responded to a medical assist 327 Bloomington St. Cleared 3:03 p.m.
At 4:23 p.m. GFD investigated a gas leak at 8 E. Walnut St. in the alley next to the post office. A leak was found next to the regulator and Vectren was contacted. Cleared 6:20 p.m.
At 7:05 p.m. they were dispatched to 109 W. Hanna St. for an alarm but were disregarded at 7:08 p.m.
At 8:19 p.m. personnel investigated a smoke scare at Washington St. and Percy Julian Dr. The problem was caused by the construction company cleaning Percy Julian with a high pressure air hose, causing a large amount of dust. Cleared 8:24 p.m.
* On Friday, Sept. 16 at 9:40 a.m. GFD personnel investigated a smoke scare at 311 Medic Way due to a smoke smell in the break room. The furnace was on for the fist time which had tripped a breaker and gotten the motor hot. Fire personnel advised the occupants to call furnace repair. Cleared 10:09 a.m.
At 10:28 a.m. crews responded to an alarm due to steam at 106 S. Spring St. Cleared 10:37 a.m.
At 8:35 p.m. they were dispatched to an alarm at Humbert Hall, 208 E. Olive St., but were disregarded at 8:39 p.m.
At 9:02 p.m. personnel investigated an alarm at 106 S. Spring St. The alarm was due to cooking. Cleared 9:07 p.m.
* On Saturday, Sept. 17 GFD responded to an alarm due to a possible faulty detector at Humber Hall, 208 E. Olive St.
* On Sunday, Sept. 18 at 9:02 a.m. GFD investigated an alarm at 800 S. College Ave. Investigation revealed no apparent reason for the alarm. Cleared 9:13 a.m.
At 11:52 a.m. personnel investigated a smoke scare at 108 W. Hanna St. The problem was cause by the oil cap being left off a car's engine, causing oil to splash on the engine. Cleared 12:02 p.m.
At 5:27 p.m. crews responded to a detector activation due to cooking at 42 S. Jackson St. Cleared 5:33 p.m.
At 6:37 p.m. they were dispatched to an alarm at 413 S. Locust St. but were disregarded en route at 6:40 p.m.
* On Monday, Sept. 19 at 11:38 a.m. GFD investigated a possible gas leak at 99 Martinsville St. They found the pilot light out on the stove and a gas smell coming from the furnace. Gas to the stove was turned off and Vectren was contacted. Cleared 12:53 p.m.
At 3:40 p.m. personnel responded to an alarm at 414 Indiana St. investigation revealed a malfunctioning detector. Cleared 3:49 p.m.
At 5:34 p.m. they responded to an alarm due to burnt food at 301 E. Seminary St. Personnel opened the windows to evacuate the smoke and reset the alarm. Cleared 5:45 p.m.
At 9:10 p.m. personnel responded to a lift assist at 525 N. Arlington St. Cleared 90:29 p.m.
* On Tuesday, Sept. 20 at 1:40 a.m., GFD responded to an alarm due to cigarette smoke at 110 E. Larabee St. Cleared 1:58 a.m.
At 2:01 a.m. they were dispatched to a car fire at 2270 S. CR 150 West but were disregarded 2:01 a.m.
At. 11:56 p.m. personnel assisted an invalid at 525 N. Arlington St. Cleared 12:20 a.m.
* On Wednesday, Sept. 21 at 12:22 a.m., GFD was dispatched 503 S. Jackson St. but was disregarded en route at 12:27 a.m.
At 3:39 a.m., crews investigated a detector activation at 904 S. College St. Steam was coming from a pinhole in a hot water line. The house mom reset the alarm and notified maintenance to fix the problem. Cleared 4:07 a.m.
At 7:50 a.m., personnel were dispatched to 904 S. College Ave. but were disregarded before leaving at 7:53 a.m.
Information included in the Putnam Scanner is taken from reports provided to the Banner Graphic by the Greencastle Police, the Greencastle Fire and the Putnam County Sheriff's departments.
Individuals listed in the blotter have been arrested on probable cause and have not been formally charged. Charging information may change after an initial arrest.
Questions about listed charging information should be directed to the arresting agency.