[Nameplate] Overcast ~ 55°F  
High: 62°F ~ Low: 56°F
Friday, Apr. 29, 2016

Cloverdale employee benefits to change

Friday, October 14, 2011

At the Cloverdale Town Council meeting on Tuesday, the board discussed and finally approved the employee handbook. Although, there were very minor changes made, employee benefits will be one of the major things changing.

In the past the town paid 99 percent of the insurance premiums, leaving the employee to only pay the last 1 percent. Due to the economy, current budget and the rising costs of health insurance is not something they can afford. The town will now set limits on what they will pay no matter how high the premium may be.

Beginning Jan. 1, 2012 the Town of Cloverdale will contribute just $758.88 per month for employees only; the town will pay $843.61 for employees and spouses per month; as well as $1,457.15 per month for employee and family.

"It's a significant change for the employees," council president Cathy Tipton said. "The employee will be paying a much larger portion of the premium as the town can not continue to keep paying 99 percent for insurance."

Although, many town employees do not yet know about the changes, they will be receiving a notice in the coming weeks. The ones who are informed of the change are not too fond of it.

"They don't like it," said Utility Manager Rich Saucerman of his employees. "It's the best of all alternatives we have I guess."

The new benefit plan will deduct money from the employee's check every two weeks. The town is not yet sure of what the new premiums will be. However, it is certain the employee will be paying a lot more out of pocket for insurance coverage.

The board also debated on reducing the number of holidays employees would have off. The holidays in question were Martin Luther King Jr. Day and Veterans Day.

"It's not costing you more money," explained Saucerman. "It is a benefit to have those days off as a government employee."

The board eventually decided to keep all holidays as they are. They also added that employees would have off election days that take place in Cloverdale.

The board also received an update from Saucerman on the standpipe project.

"It's coming along real good," said Saucerman. "It may take a little longer but with the inspector we are moving right along."

Sanding has already been started on the outside of the pipe and they are getting ready to prime the inside. As of now they are on schedule to finish on time by Saturday, Oct. 29.


Comments
Note: The nature of the Internet makes it impractical for our staff to review every comment. If you feel that a comment is offensive, please Login or Create an account first, and then you will be able to flag a comment as objectionable. Please also note that those who post comments on bannergraphic.com may do so using a screen name, which may or may not reflect a website user's actual name. Readers should be careful not to assign comments to real people who may have names similar to screen names. Refrain from obscenity in your comments, and to keep discussions civil, don't say anything in a way your grandmother would be ashamed to read.

Perhaps if the Council members would take some interest in searching out grants and applying for them, the town could entice more people to move here, which in turn could generate more revenue, which might help the employees keep their benefits. However, I will admit that 99 % is quite a bit of benefit.

-- Posted by Cloverinterest on Fri, Oct 14, 2011, at 1:03 PM

Just so I understand they bought a new truck, pay for two attorney's, and repairs on the water tower - and now that the money has run out the employees have to pick up the bill??? Am I missing something here???? Well I guess it's a good thing the election is right around the corner - it looks like it's time for a change!!!

-- Posted by free speach on Fri, Oct 14, 2011, at 2:38 PM

Cathy Tipton needs replaced! She is leading the pack and Yackey is her sidekick.

-- Posted by captain crunch on Sat, Oct 15, 2011, at 3:01 PM

Try a $5000.00 deductible...........

-- Posted by magoo55 on Sun, Oct 16, 2011, at 5:34 PM

Amazing, not a Yackey in the whole article!

-- Posted by exhoosier2 on Mon, Oct 17, 2011, at 7:21 AM

I think Yackey was intimidated by Councilman Puffer.

The Banner Graphic did a very poor job of reporting this meeting. There was more to the meeting than discussed......police issues, attorney bills, violating town ordinances, repairing the bumper on the new truck due to accident.......

-- Posted by captain crunch on Mon, Oct 17, 2011, at 11:29 AM


Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: