Monday at 9:38 a.m., Indiana State Police Senior Trooper Chris Harcourt was on routine traffic patrol on U.S. 40 near County Road 400 East in Putnam County, when his radar tracked a 2003 Pontiac at 80 mph in the westbound passing lane.
As Trooper Harcourt turned around in an attempt to stop the car, he said the driver of the Pontiac, John E. Spencer, 20, Fillmore, suddenly veered right across the driving lane, and tried to turn right onto County Road 300 East.
The sudden erratic driving behavior gave Trooper Harcourt the impression the driver was attempting to evade apprehension.
As Harcourt closed the distance, he noticed the Pontiac sliding sideways in attempting to turn right onto CR 300E, and watched as it struck a stopsign and earthen embankment.
Spencer was cited for reckless driving, a Class B misdemeanor, and for 80 mph in a 55-mph zone.
Damage in the crash was estimated at $1,000.
One recent arrest was reported by Greencastle City Police officers.
-- At 4:32 p.m. Saturday, Paul McCombs, 24, Greencastle, was arrested by Sgt. Chris Jones at Maple and Howard streets in the city's South End.
McCombs, who was lodged in the Putnam County Jail, is charged with domestic battery in the presence of a minor.
Three recent traffic citations were issued by city officers.
-- At 3 p.m. Monday, Cathy Williams-Bunnell, 44, Greencastle, was ticketed by Officer Jeff Modlin for 35 mph in a 20-mph zone on Shadowlawn Avenue.
-- At 2:10 p.m. Monday, Cody Summerlot, 19, Fillmore, was cited by Officer Modlin for 45 mph in a 30-mph zone on Round Barn Road.
-- At 3:25 p.m. Thursday, Joe Boyd, 58, Greencastle, was cited by Officer Jones for unsafe movement at Franklin and Arlington streets.
* On Saturday, April 28 at 5:40 a.m. Mellissa L. Scales, 19, Greencastle, was northbound on State Road 243 in a 2000 Oldsmobile Alero. Her front wheel got off the edge of the pavement, causing her to lose control and the car to overturn into an embankment.
Scales was entrapped in the vehicle, but no injuries were reported. The sheriff's department report gave no details on how she was extricated.
Several people have been booked into the Putnam County Jail recently.
* On Friday, April 27 at 7:41 a.m. Christopher C. Harbaugh, 20, Greencastle, was arrested for theft.
At 8:48 a.m. Elijah Dean Isenhower, 21, Greencastle, was housed at the jail for probation violation.
* On Saturday, April 28, Joshua Alexander Quinn, 19, Greencastle, was charged with public intoxication, identity deception, disorderly conduct, resisting law enforcement and battery on law enforcement.
* On Sunday, April 29, at 5:45 a.m. Chanord Sago, 35, Indianapolis, was held at the jail for operating while intoxicated, driving with a suspended license, traffic accident with property damage and false informing.
At 12:47 p.m. Michael Richard Connelly, 36, was booked in for residential entry, criminal mischief and operating while intoxicated.
At 7:37 p.m. April Lynn Brooks, 44, Greencastle, was arrested for operating a motor vehicle never having received a license.
* On Monday, April 30 at 6:13 p.m. Anthony Dodson, 28, Indianapolis, was housed at the jail for failure to appear, operating while intoxicated, driving with a suspended license and resisting law enforcement.
At 6;33 p.m. Timohty Alvin Sibert, 50, Crawfordsville, was charged with battery.
The Greencastle Fire Department has responded to a number of recent dispatches.
* On Saturday, April 28 at 5:58 a.m. personnel performed a lift assist at 508 S. Illinois St. Cleared 6:19 .m.
At 12:20 p.m. crews responded to an alarm due to cooking at 412 S. Jackson St. Cleared 12:31 p.m.
At 12:48 p.m. GFD was dispatched to 542 S. Bloomington St. but was disregarded at 12:51 p.m.
At 7:09 p.m. personnel responded to a pull station alarm at Beta Theta Pi, 15 Anderson St. Cleared 7:24 p.m.
At 11:31 p.m. crews were called to 412 S. Indiana St. No reason was found for the alarm. Cleared 11:43 p.m.
* On Sunday, April 29 at 1:04 a.m. GFD returned to a call at 412 S. Indiana St., discovering a malfunctioning alarm. Cleared 1:21 a.m.
At 1:20 a.m. firefighters responded to Humbert Hall, 208 E. Olive St. for an alarm due to burnt popcorn. Cleared 1:34 a.m.
At 5:24 a.m. personnel responded to 500 S. Jackson St. for an alarm due to incense. Cleared 5:36 a.m.
At 5:35 a.m. crews responded to an alarm due to cooking at 330 Greenwood Ave. Cleared 6:07 a.m.
At 10:40 a.m. GFD was called to an alarm at The Waters of Greencastle, 1601 Hospital Dr. The source was discovered to be smoke from smoldering towels in a room. Cleared 10:59 a.m.
At 1:38 p.m. personnel responded to an alarm at 2224 N. CR 175 West. The problem was caused by a dead battery in the smoke detector. Cleared 1:57 p.m.
* On Monday, April 30 at 2:07 a.m. GFD was dispatched to an alarm due to smoking at 500 S. Jackson St. Cleared 2:13 a.m.
At 2:41 a.m. crews were dispatched to Rescare, 1306 S. Bloomington St., but were disregarded at 2:41 a.m.
At 4:39 p.m. GFD responded to a power line down at CVS at the corner of Indianapolis Road and Percy Julian Drive. Crews stood by until Duke Energy arrived on scene. Cleared 5:30 p.m.
* On Tuesday, May 1 at 12:07 p.m. personnel responded to a lightning strike at the DePauw Prindle Institute, 2961 N. CR 200 South. Cleared 12:39 p.m.
At 2:32 p.m. GFD performed a lift assist at 508 S. Illinois St. Cleared 3:08 p.m.
At 2:39 p.m. crews responded to a tree sparking power lines at 603 Howard St. They stood by until the Department of Public Works blocked off the street and Duke Energy was dispatched. Cleared 2:48 p.m.
Information included in the Putnam Scanner is taken from reports provided to the Banner Graphic by the Greencastle Police, the Greencastle Fire and the Putnam County Sheriff's departments.
Individuals listed in the blotter have been arrested on probable cause and have not been formally charged. Charging information may change after an initial arrest.
Questions about listed charging information should be directed to the arresting agency.