Purple is another color representative of October because October is Domestic Violence Awareness Month.
Did you know:
* One in four women will experience domestic violence in her lifetime.
* Every nine seconds in the U.S. a woman is assaulted or beaten.
* Every day in the U.S., more than three women are murdered by their husbands or boyfriends.
* Studies suggest that annually up to 10 million children witness some form of domestic violence.
The National Coalition Against Domestic Violence calls domestic violence "an epidemic affecting individuals in every community."
Putnam County is also affected by domestic violence. Family Support Services works diligently to raise awareness of domestic violence, to offer help to victims and their children, and especially during the month of October, to remember those 62 domestic violence victims in Indiana who have lost their lives in the past year.
Anyone can have a part in ending domestic violence in our community. Here are some ways to help:
* Contact your legislators in support of domestic violence prevention funding.
* Refer a friend, colleague or family member who needs help to Family Support Services
* Volunteer your time in the domestic violence program
* Donate your used cell phones
* Make a financial contribution to Family Support Services for victim services
Family Support Services invites everyone to join the cause in combating domestic violence in our community.
Putnam County Family Support Services can be reached at 653-4820 or email@example.com.