Several people were booked into the Putnam County Jail recently.
* At 1:45 p.m. on Sunday Jordan Michael Battin, 21, Greencastle, was arrested for theft.
* At 11:30 a.m. on Monday Nicole Lynn Johnson, 27, Mooresville, was charged with probation violation.
At 12 p.m. Alfonson Figueroa, 36, no city listed, was booked in for criminal trespassing.
At 4 p.m. Scott Tallman, 37, Greencastle, was held at the jail for theft.
At 7:09 p.m. Johannah Marie Kellie, 21, Roachdale, was charged with motor vehicle theft.
* At 12:56 p.m. on Tuesday, Jan. 29, an unexpected airbag deployment while a vehicle was in motion caused a rear-end collision.
Brian B. Burdsall, 61, Poland, was westbound on State Road 42 in a 1994 Nissan Altima when his airbag deployed.
The problem left Burdsall unable to see that the 1999 Dodge Durango driven westbound by Marcia A. Mitchell, 62, Cloverdale, had stopped to make a left turn into a driveway.
Burdsall's car collided with the back of Mitchell's SUV.
Bursall told Deputy Adam Hull his airbag light had come on a couple of times prior to the accident.
Damage was estimated at $2,501-$5,000.
* At 1:40 p.m. on Thursday, Jan. 31, Aubrey A. Key, 31, Greencastle, was southeast bound on County Road 200 South, stopped at the intersection with U.S. 40 in a 2007 Honda Civic.
Anthony J. Kerr, 20, Greencastle, was westbound on U.S. 40 attempting to turn right onto County Road 200 South in a 1989 Toyota Celica.
Kerr told Col. Tom Helmer he slowed to make the turn but his tires began to slide on the snow and ice. The car slid into Key's car, which was forced off the road and into a stopsign post.
A witness told Helmer that Key had passed her car on near Stilesville at a speed too fast for the road conditions.
Helmer was assisted at the scene by Lt. Donnie Pettit and Brian Erwin of the Stilesville Police Department.
Damage was estimated at $5,001-$10,000.
* At 3:27 p.m. on Friday, Joseph Steven Nrbcha Jr., 37, Brazil, was westbound on U.S. 40 in a 2002 Pontiac Grand Am. Mattie J. Varvel, 18, Fillmore, had just exited the South Putnam High School parking lot and was also westbound in a 2004 Volkswagen Jetta.
Nrbcha told Helmer he switched to the left lane in order to pass Varvel, who then turned into the left rear door and rear bumper of his vehicle.
Varvel said she did not see Nrbcha's car before changing lanes.
Damage was estimated at $2,501-$5,000.
Three people were arrested recently by Greencastle City Police.
-- At 5:10 p.m. Monday, John Ryan Sanders, 29, Greencastle, was arrested by Officer Darrel Bunten in the Goodwill Store lot on Indianapolis Road on a warrant for theft and receiving stolen property. Sanders was lodged in the Putnam County Jail.
-- At 11:11 p.m. Sunday, Christopher Michael Hendricks, 25, Indianapolis, was arrested by Sgt. Charles Inman and lodged in the Putnam County Jail on felony counts of dealing marijuana and possession of marijuana, and for reckless possession of paraphernalia.
-- At 11:11 p.m. Sunday, Derek Moon, 27, Greencastle, was arrested on a Bartholomew County warrant for petition to revoke probation (on theft and receiving stolen property counts). Mason was lodged in the Putnam County Jail.
Two recent traffic accidents were investigated by city officers.
-- At 11:01 a.m. Saturday, a two-vehicle mishap was reported on East Washington Street, just east of Indiana Street.
Officer Jeff Modlin reported that Deborah Kirby, 58, Cloverdale, had stopped her eastbound 2006 Buick to allow a driver to pull away from a parking space in front of Starbuck's.
Also eastbound was a 2005 Dodge Caravan, driven by Justin Merriman, 29, Greencastle, who looked down and did not see the Kirby car stopping in front of him, and struck it in the rear end.
Total damage was estimated at $1,000-$2,500.
-- At 3:07 p.m. Feb. 1, a two-vehicle accident was reported on Warren Drive as Keith Sims, 17, Greencastle, stopped his northbound 1999 Dodge Ram at State Road 240 and started to enter the intersection but stopped.
When Sims stopped his truck, it was struck from behind by a 2002 GMC Envoy, driven by Darrel White, 46, Gosport, Officer Albert Epple reported.
Total damage was listed at $5,000-$10,000.
The Greencastle Fire Department has responded to a number of recent dispatches.
* At 4:11 p.m. on Friday, firefighters investigated an alarm at Humbert Hall, 208 E. Olive St. They cleared the scene at 4:22 p.m.
At 4:25 p.m. GFD was called to an alarm at 446 E. Anderson St., returning to station at 4:38 p.m.
* At 7:43 p.m. on Saturday, responders performed a lift assist at 102 Ridgeland Rd. They returned to station at 7:47 p.m.
* At 10:08 a.m. on Sunday, crews were dispatched to help Clinton Township with a structure fire at 3196 Van Bibber Lake. They assisted with extinguishing the fire, as well as salvage and overhaul efforts. They returned to station at 12:19 p.m.
At 5:43 p.m. GFD investigated an alarm at 505 S. Jackson St., returning to station at 5:48 p.m.
At 8:27 p.m. personnel investigated an alarm at 304 S. Indiana St., clearing the scene at 8:33 p.m.
* At 12:47 a.m. on Monday, firefighters investigated a gas leak at 1018 Avenue C. They returned to station at 2:11 a.m.
At 4:54 a.m. crews assisted with a motor vehicle accident at Veterans Highway and Warren Drive, clearing the scene at 5:39 a.m.
At 7:52 a.m., GFD was called to assist Cloverdale with a vehicle fire at 1032 N. Main St., Cloverdale, but was disregarded en route at 8:13 a.m.
At 10:14 a.m. firefighters investigated an alarm at 801 S. Locust St. They returned to station at 10:29 a.m.
At 11:11 a.m. crews were called to assist Fillmore with a possible structure fire at 3801 N. CR 675 East, but were disregarded en route. They problem turned out to be a large, illegal outside burn. Responders returned to station at 11:29 a.m.
At 11:49 a.m. firefighters were dispatched to assist Cloverdale with a fire alarm at 4255 S. CR 125 East, but were disregarded at 11:58 a.m.
At 1:22 p.m. GFD responded to a call to assist Operation Life at 201 N. Locust St., but was disregarded at 1:26 p.m.
At 4:23 p.m. responders investigated an alarm at 110 E. Larabee St., returning to station at 4:34 p.m.
At 11:55 p.m. crews responded to an alarm at Humbert Hall, 208 E. Olive St. They cleared the scene at 12:11 a.m.
* At 9:41 a.m. on Tuesday, GFD investigated a detector activation at 404 E. Seminary St., returning to station at 10:06 a.m.
Information included in the Putnam Scanner is taken from reports provided to the Banner Graphic by the Greencastle Police, the Greencastle Fire and the Putnam County Sheriff's departments.
Individuals listed in the blotter have been arrested on probable cause and have not been formally charged. Charging information may change after an initial arrest.
Questions about listed charging information should be directed to the arresting agency.