Turkey Run claims top two spots on Indiana’s best hiking trails list
State park trails swept all 10 places in the Indiana Office of Tourism Development’s 2019 Best of Indiana people’s choice campaign for best hiking trails.
Turkey Run State Park took the top two spots. Its Ladders Trail took first. Trail 2, which goes along the Lusk Earth Fill as well as along cliffs, took second. Trail 2 at Clifty Falls State Park, which traverses Clifty Creek, took third.
Turkey Run is located in Marshall and is known for its gorges and views of Sugar Creek. Clifty Falls is located near Madison and is known for its waterfalls, cliffs, and views of the neighboring city. Clifty Falls will celebrate its 100th anniversary in 2020.
Rounding out Hoosiers’ top 10 trails are:
• The Fire Tower Trail at Brown County State Park.
• Falls Canyon Trail at McCormick’s Creek State Park.
• Adventure Hiking Trail at Harrison-Crawford State Forest and O’Bannon Woods State Park.
• Wolf Cave Trail at McCormick’s Creek State Park.
•Pine Hills Nature Preserve Trail at Shades State Park.
•Three Dune Challenge Trail at Indiana Dunes State Park.
• Donaldson Cave/Bronson Cave/Twin Caves Trail at Spring Mill State Park.